decent torch for cutting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So - as the title says, do you think this torch will work for cutting the torsion bars out of my truck? I have been trying to find a new torsion bar mount but can't find anything around me - even the junkyards are empty. Reason I need a torch is my bars are stuck - and I have tried heating them up and pounding them but they wont budge at all, so I will just cut them out. I have new lower control arms to go in, so I am just looking to save the torsion bar mount, my old control arms and bars can get damaged/ cut. Figured I could cut the bars up by the control arms, then try to cut the keys so I can pop the keys off and slide the bars out from the mount.

All I know about the torch set is its a Merriam-Graves setup with a cutting tip. The ad on CL says - One owner, bought brand new(Merriam-Graves), comes with tanks, torches, tips, tank valve gauges, tank pull cart, and approx. 20 ft of hose as seen in pictures. One of the torches is a cutting torch. Also comes with goggles and cutting/welding outfit guide.

the person is asking $200, think that's a fair price?

You must be registered for see images attach

*Sorry if its the wrong forum, I did not see a general tools discussion subforum.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
The torch should cut right through with some preheating. If the set comes with a rose bud, heat the hell out of it, then put the cutting tip on and go to town.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sweet - do you think it will cut the torsion bars and all fine?

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The torch should cut right through with some preheating. If the set comes with a rose bud, heat the hell out of it, then put the cutting tip on and go to town.

ok - thanks, whats a rose bud? I only used a cutting torch once before ... so this will be a new experience for me ...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
this is a rosebud tip used for heating metal

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure how it will cut the t-bars, never tried doing that before. Have cut the bottom of the keys out many times, from my experince the t-bars are a harder material as torch has never cut into the bars. Cutting the keys is a little slow, but still saves alot of pounding.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure how it will cut the t-bars, never tried doing that before. Have cut the bottom of the keys out many times, from my experince the t-bars are a harder material as torch has never cut into the bars. Cutting the keys is a little slow, but still saves alot of pounding.

Hmmmm do you think a grinder would work to cut the t-bars? The stock t-bars are shot ... its cranked all the ways and didnt even lift the front end maybe a 1/4" from zero crank.

I know to unload the t-bars and all that, I've already tried to swap them once with the pounding of the big ass sledge hammer with no luck.... even used a piece of black iron pipe as a punch and swung from outside the truck and nothing. Tried heating it up and pounding but nothing. so I am going with cutting this time. I already have new t-bars, and control arms, I am just trying to save the torsion bar mount that it slides in.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If replacing the lower control arms and the T-bars then there would be no need to cut the t-bars off. Just cut the bottom of the keys off, might have to hit the key a little to break it all away from the t-bar. Remove the bolts to the t-bar crossmember and pound it (and the keys) back of the bars. That way you can remove the LCA and bars as one, thats how I did my lift. The rust here is terrible and thats the best way we've found to do them.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If replacing the lower control arms and the T-bars then there would be no need to cut the t-bars off. Just cut the bottom of the keys off, might have to hit the key a little to break it all away from the t-bar. Remove the bolts to the t-bar crossmember and pound it (and the keys) back of the bars. That way you can remove the LCA and bars as one, thats how I did my lift. The rust here is terrible and thats the best way we've found to do them.

Ohh true. I didn't think of that. Would a grinder with a cut off wheel go faster then torching it you think? The torch is $200, and I have a grinder and cut off wheel already ..... just curious on the options. yes, I do have LCA, they are used but new ball joints, bushings, and sway bar links from summit will be here Friday :). My ball joints are shot so figured getting another pair of LCA and putting new ball joints and bushings in would be faster. I also have new bolts for the LCA to bolt onto the truck with.