Damn Torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canada RCSB Mike

OBS is what I like!!
Reaction score
Hey All,

Has anyone ever have the torsion bars not remove from there keys?
I have the bars unloaded and can remove them from the lower A arm. But I cannot pull push, hammer, the bars from the keys.. I will try heat tomorrow and alot of it. It is a pain in the ass.
Just wondering if anyone ever had that problem and came up with a solution?

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bigger hammer! jk man. try soaking them with penetrating oil several times a day for a week. then try.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I recall seeing somewhere if you heat the bars it will ruin the spring.. but I might be wrong

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
yeah you should probably be carefull with the heat around spring steel. just spray some penetrating oil on them and get a bigger hammer.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always apply penetrating oils to undercarriage components many times over the week prior to going under there. Helps out alot.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone works better then any penetrating oil you can buy, but yes soak them. They said on trucks they are bad for doing this, but I have to ask....

Why are you trying to remove the keys? I sure hope it's not to install lift keys, they do NOTHING for obs 88-98 trucks. Stock keys will let you crank as high as you'd ever need. Now if you are changing the torsion bars out, maybe try heat since you are changing them. As long as you or someone else isn't going to use the bars heat should not be a concern, since they won't be used. if you plan to use them, don't heat them, springs cannot be heated they loose their spring lol.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I always apply penetrating oils to undercarriage components many times over the week prior to going under there. Helps out alot.

:word: The more times the better as the fluid "climbs itself." The only penetrating oil I use anymore is Kroil, I've never tried ATF/Acetone but you can't store acetone in a plastic spray bottle since it'll melt it. I spray 2 times the day before deconstruction and then once an hour before I take a wrench to it, I haven't rounded off a head, broke a cheater bar, or busted a head in a long time doing this.

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
Why are you trying to remove the keys? I sure hope it's not to install lift keys, they do NOTHING for obs 88-98 trucks. Stock keys will let you crank as high as you'd ever need.

tried to tell a buddy this the other night and he proceded to tell me that he could put lift keys on his truck, get 3 inches of lift, and it would not ride rough because the bolts were not all the way up.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL did ya smack him? or did he get what he wanted?

Nice looking truck, reminds me of mine with the fender trim and rocker trim, but mines the wide fender trim and no molding on the body just the stainless trim. I need those mirrors though, mine are black and rusted.

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
LOL did ya smack him? or did he get what he wanted?

Nice looking truck, reminds me of mine with the fender trim and rocker trim, but mines the wide fender trim and no molding on the body just the stainless trim. I need those mirrors though, mine are black and rusted.

Thanks. He'll find out soon enough.
I scored the mirrors at a junk yard a few months ago mine were black and dented but I want a set of manual newer style mirrors