Cylinder head question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok,
So looking at some options on where I want to take the black-breakdown, Im pretty sure Im going to just drop another 350 TBI into it this summer, but I dont want to stick with the factory swirl port heads (my heads need new valve guides and if Im gonna spend money, Id rather not throw the same heads back on)
BESIDES VORTEC!!!! Does anyone know of a reputable head that I can install for a DECENT price, that wont require me to have someone burn a whole new chip. IE- computer friendly, but better quality?

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would but unfortunately there are no chip tuners for the old obd 1 generation in the area and mail order tunes are a hassle. I would tune it myself but with my job chasing a tune every day and reburning a new chip every week trying to figure out a good tune isn't an option. Thought about doing a vortec swap but i actually like the simplicity of the tbi system for what I use it for. I'm not chasing the high horsepower dream, just chasing the reliability side of the house

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are mail order tunes more difficult on the TBI trucks for some reason? Swapping the PCM in a Vortec truck takes all of five minutes. It almost takes longer to get a socket out and disconnect the battery. TBIChips offers custom mail order tunes, may not be perfect but it should get you up and running with pretty much any heads you want.

http://tbichips.com/?product=custom-chip

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Back to your original question. You will be hard pressed to find a good set of heads for a decent price.
You have a couple of options on the old double humps. But the most plentiful heads are the 76 on smogger heads. With the vortec a strong second.
The several of the smoggers flow okay but are prone to cracking. If you're not up for a tune you will gain little from a head swap.

streetperf

Reaction score
Back to your original question. You will be hard pressed to find a good set of heads for a decent price.
You have a couple of options on the old double humps. But the most plentiful heads are the 76 on smogger heads. With the vortec a strong second.
The several of the smoggers flow okay but are prone to cracking. If you're not up for a tune you will gain little from a head swap.
In order of cyl heads, Dart has 180 CC head that would work well. The price of Darts are not going to be in the price range of old designed refurbished heads.
What intake are you using? If you are using the stock TBI manifold it has a 20% restriction over the open head on a flow bench. The Edelbrock TBI works well. It is a bit pricey. You can also build an adapter and mount the TBI on a 4 bbl intake. That would be better than the stock manifold.
If you change heads, what camshaft are you using? You will have to stay quite mild in the camshaft department. The minimum LCA for computer vehicles is 112'.
Just my $.02. I have used up to 209' duration @ .50 with very good results with the dart 180 cc CI heads.

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a Vortec head swap in my 95 TBI Tahoe and did a "mail order" tune thru Brian at TBIChips. It's been running perfect for a few years. I'm actually building a new engine currently, this one has almost 300K on the lower end. I went with virgin Vortec heads, Edlebrock air gap intake, GM LT4 hot cam, 6 inch rods, flat tops, etc, etc and will get a chip from Brian at TBI chips. He knows his stuff and has been it long enough he gets it really close on the first chip. I ran mid 15s on a full size 4 door 2WD Tahoe with that engine and his chip.

Reaction score
Ok,
IE- computer friendly, but better quality?
I have to ask, what exactly does quality mean to you? What about the OEM heads is not quality to begin with? If you think performance= quality, then you'll need to change the tune. If you think quality means well built, oem is as good as any non chinese junk out there.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want quality, reliability, and are not chasing hp why not stick with stockers? Seems like alot of headache for no gain if you're not gonna tune.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm not even sure a pair of vortecs and an intake would see anywhere near full potential on the stock tune. That's probably the cheapest worthwhile head swap around.