cutting the droop stops down on the frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, everything get's cut off and used as the bolt-to location for the drop plates to attach to.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
why not just remove the aal?

Well first of all I dont want to lower it, and second 99% of the time a 6" lift for the rear is a block and AAL, SOO when the time comes for the 6" lift the AAL will already be there. I dont like doing things more often than nessisary so taking it out just to put it back in later is just extra work.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Plus the aal is needed with the block to help decrease axle wrap. But usually only a full aal really helps in that manner, half leafs are kinda meh....i dont know.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am confident it will work but wanted to know if anyone else has done it. I looked it over real good today and I couldnt see anything impotant that would be affected by it Such as the frame. Its been a while since I had a real lift on one of these trucks but I think this part gets cut off the frame with a 6" lift anyway??
For any full drop suspension lifts, yes the bump stops do get cut off, for a knuckle lift (Fabtech) they would stay. Another option would be a balljoint flip. This is where you mount the upper balljoint to the bottom side of UCA instead of the top, which would give you some clearance on the stops and help angles. It wont work withstock wheels and I would think 15's would have to hae some good - offset.

If you are to the point of needing to cut trim bumpstops you are cranked to much, but since you have experience with this, you have been down that rough road.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I would take the aal out, cutting the bumpstops off to crank it more your balljoints and tierods will hate you

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW are you just pulling sugestions out of a hat? Thanks, but I have a feeling this is above your tech level.
ok,so your truck is already over cranked, and you want to crank it more? just dont put it in 4wd your cv shafts will be broke in no time, i guess i just dont understand why you would do that to your truck, if its on the stops your just asking to have to rebuild the front end in a matter of months, you said you already learned how bad it is to over crank them so why do it again? i guess my logic is only for practicals?

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
ok,so your truck is already over cranked, and you want to crank it more? just dont put it in 4wd your cv shafts will be broke in no time, i guess i just dont understand why you would do that to your truck, if its on the stops your just asking to have to rebuild the front end in a matter of months, you said you already learned how bad it is to over crank them so why do it again? i guess my logic is only for practicals?

No I dont feel its over cranked the way it sits in the pic I posted, and I dont want to go higher than that. In fact by comparisson to my green 97 the angles are near stock. Basically the situation I have is the truck only has half of the actual lift on it. Back in the day this superlift was diff drop brakets, I think differnt keys, and upper a-arms. The upper a-arms have been returned to stock.

I wish I had pics of the upper a-arms I put on the green 97 so you all could see what Im talking about. I actually searched the web for them last night but I think they have been discontinued now. When I had the green truck the diff drop brakets (that this 94 currently has) where discontinued. But those upper a-arms allowed me to "crank" the green truck to near 5" of lift. It was BAD for CV's but the balljoints, TRE's and even the front end alignment held up to nearly 3 years of daily driving and off road abuse. And I seriously mean abuse, like high speed off road bumps whoops and even lots of air. That truck was a blast to jump the front suspention soaked up the landings beautifully, it was the rear (stock no lift at all) that bottomed out and was harsh on bigger jumps.

My goal for the white truck is to make it sit level (like it does in the pic I have posted) and have a bit of downtravel I dont want it higher than it is in the pic. This is a very wild ass guess but I am only talking about around 3"+/- of crank if you can belive that, and its only for as long as it takes me to get a real 6" lift for it, should be less than a year and hopefully only a few months

PS I love that I am beeing talked down to by someone who hasnt been alive as long as I have been driving. Son I remember when the 88's came out NEW.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to say ball joint flip too, (I was just late to the party). Do you have longer shocks? I had a friend that was ready to get smaller tires and de-crank because of the ride, I talked him into trying longer shocks. At first he wasn't buying what I was saying but I told him to jack his truck up by the frame then unbolt the shock, if it droops more with the shock unbolted, get some shocks. He did and was happy.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you looked at the 2-3" lifts from skyjacker and rough country, they both come with new upper control arms. BJ flip still best short term option and cheapest.