Custom fuel lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,
After a failure in the nylon lines I got for free with my gas tank, I'd like to upgrade my fuel lines so squirrels won't eat them again.
I have enough nickel copper line in 3/8 and 5/16 from other projects to replace it all, but I know there should be flexible lines between the throttle body and the solid lines on the frame. Can anyone offer some advice on fabricating or purchasing the replacement flexible hoses?
I have a hydraulic flaring tool and the dies to make flares. I'm willing to learn how to do anything required, I would just like some advice on which direction to pursue.
My vehicle is a 1995 c1500 with the 5.7.
Thanks in advance for your assistance

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd find a Treasure Yard and scavenge the throttle-body-to-frame hoses. Then it's just a matter of putting the proper end fittings on your metal tubing to attach the flexible sections.

If that's not an option, the usual "JIC" 37 degree ends, and steel-braid-over-Teflon- (PTFE-) liner hose. You'll never have to mess with it again as long as you've got good ground straps on the engine so the steel braid doesn't become a ground-strap, and the hose doesn't get pinched or abraded.

1owner1990

Reaction score
Hello all,
After a failure in the nylon lines I got for free with my gas tank, I'd like to upgrade my fuel lines so squirrels won't eat them again.
I have enough nickel copper line in 3/8 and 5/16 from other projects to replace it all, but I know there should be flexible lines between the throttle body and the solid lines on the frame. Can anyone offer some advice on fabricating or purchasing the replacement flexible hoses?
I have a hydraulic flaring tool and the dies to make flares. I'm willing to learn how to do anything required, I would just like some advice on which direction to pursue.
My vehicle is a 1995 c1500 with the 5.7.
Thanks in advance for your assistance
Maybe this helps? This video bailed me out when I did my lines.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it won't be "AN"; which is both obsolete and aerospace-grade. But the modern version of the old "JIC" is functionally equivalent but "industrial" grade, much less expensive, and totally suitable for ground transportation. Don't get caught putting it on an airplane or space-shuttle, though. Summit, Jegs, and many others are still advertising their industrial-grade stuff is "AN", but it ain't so.

Both "AN" and "JIC" have been replaced with new SAE standards.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it won't be "AN"; which is both obsolete and aerospace-grade. But the modern version of the old "JIC" is functionally equivalent but "industrial" grade, much less expensive, and totally suitable for ground transportation. Don't get caught putting it on an airplane or space-shuttle, though. Summit, Jegs, and many others are still advertising their industrial-grade stuff is "AN", but it ain't so.
"AN" doesn't have any meaning beyond how advertisers are using it now, so it's okay to call it "AN".

As far as not installing it on air/space craft, anyone with an A&P must know they can't install anything without a Certificate of Conformance, and that they need to have the documentation tracing the part back to the original supplier. Otherwise they own any mishaps.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as not installing it on air/space craft, anyone with an A&P must know they can't install anything without a Certificate of Conformance, and that they need to have the documentation tracing the part back to the original supplier. Otherwise they own any mishaps.
Then the original supplier has to keep records of where they got it and what it is made of from metallurgical test reports to rubber grommet material make up. On EVERY nut, bolt, cannon plug even all fluids.
Paperwork makes a airplane fly.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Rodents eat nylon now??? Fantastic. I installed nylon last year. I did cover much of it with plastic convoluted split loom, Though.
They're hungry enough, they'll eat anything.....
They have to constantly gnaw on something or their teeth will grow too much and eventually puncture their skulls and brains(at least that's what I learned in science class in school).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Then the original supplier has to keep records of where they got it and what it is made of from metallurgical test reports to rubber grommet material make up. On EVERY nut, bolt, cannon plug even all fluids.
Paperwork makes a airplane fly.

And that's part of why they're so much safer than cars. OP should also invest in a .22.