Cost of a junkyard TBI 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
having worked in a few salvage yards over 10yrs & shopped for parts for over 20yrs, I will say this, the type of part being pulled by me is determined by the yard that I am in

At a yard like Everett's, I will not pull suspension, axles or drivetrain assemblies unless the vehicle is on the outside edge. the vehicles are on the ground w/ enough room to fit a wheelbarrow between the bumpers. door to door is sometimes not enough room to fully open a door. they do loan out floor jacks, jack stands & wheelbarrows. seat & doors assemblies can be tricky sometimes. This is a high volume, high turn around yard. they are also sell cars w/ MA titles & have a section w/ older project cars for sale.

At a yard like PNP, at least in my area, the vehicles are spread out a little more & are up on stacked welded rims. makes pulling parts easier except for under the hood. it's like working on a mild lift truck. also the ones in area loan out wheelbarrows & chain lifts on cavalier spare tires (large a-frame style cherry picker w/ a chain pulley in the center). great for pulling engines or beds straight up. again, easier w/ the outside vehicle. inners are doable, but have to plan your exit path. ie: 2 rows forward, 3 vehicles to the side, 1 row back, rest of the path to side & out to the main aisle. its because if 2 long vehicles are put in front of each other, there might not be quite enough space between the bumpers to fit the chain fall. or because of the crap on the ground or ruts. if you can get to the vehicle early enough & the keys are present, you can hook up a battery & start it for a couple of seconds. no fluids, so just long enough to verify that its not a box of rocks.

I only mention these two yards because this is who I frequent. there are a few other yards semi near me, but I either had bad experiences there (usually the employees), or they just never seem to have anything that I need. I usually only get to go once a month & have to make the most of it. I usually hit up row52 looking for fresh inventory first, because that is a known factor. if not new, then I will go to Everett's, the unknown factor, just because they are a high volume-high turnaround yard, it doesn't mean that they have what I need that week. a 45min drive ea way to look @ unknown inventory can be a big waste of time & fuel.

that's my .02 cents

WULFGAR

Reaction score
Definitely something to consider.

I'll take the intake manifold off of my motor as soon as summer comes around and dig into it to see what's happening before I get a junkyard engine. The knocking I'm hearing sounds like a top end issue so it's probably pretty repairable.

If I end up going for a junkyard motor, I will call around all the junkyards within a few hundred clicks. I do have another truck that I only drive in summer that I carry a newer motor home with.

Thank you again.

WULFGAR

Reaction score
Turned out to be rod knock. It started hammering like a m@##$#&$$&%r while hauling a load of garbage. Found a really nice rebuilt engine on a local buy/sell page for $400. Guy just dropped it in then totaled the truck. My bro and I had the old one out in an hour. Took 10 minutes to hook the new one to the engine mounts. Another 3 to get everything else hooked up (not bad for our first engine replacement project). Truck runs great AGAIN.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Pick n Pull in my opinion is good for some things, terrible for others. Like not being able to use floor jacks. Like WTF how am I supposed to drop an nv4500 without killing myself since we can't have jacks and the spare tire jacks from other vehicles will not work for a job like that. I actually missed out on one of those because of that reason. And got bitched at by some chick at the entrance when I was bringing a floor jack in so I had to drag it back out to my truck.

And the one I'm closest to has the trucks in the very very back of the lot, and trying to pull things like an engine, axle, etc that is heavy is like impossible. Some things are decently priced, others are not. Like $68 for a grille IMO is ridiculous, then they also charge EIGHT damn dollars for each individual corner lense on a grille. ****** aftermarket grille inserts are $43 per piece, and I refused to pay $86 for two steel inserts for a chevy grille. Pedal covers are also $9 a piece, when you can probably buy the same three piece set at AutoZone for $20.

As far as engines go I paid $400 for a complete one with everything minus exhaust manifolds. Not a bad deal since I literally got everything including the throttle body. I'd say $400 max for a TBI 350 and a little higher if it's a good complete Vortec 350.