Coolant Leak... strange but true

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
There's several possible sources for a leak to collect in that spot. Hose, water neck, thermostat gasket (more likely on the earlier models since they use a paper gasket instead of the split o-ring style), crack in the intake by the temp sensor from overtightening, or simply intake gasket leak - they erode near the very front ports as that's where the coolant goes through, so it could be leaking up at the front and migrating rearwards to pool on the intake.

Richard

if the housing and gasket or possibly hose don't cure it, it will be heading to the shop for the intake gasket...

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
My 99 Suburban does this. So does my other 99 Suburban. On the 2wd, the drip is so faint that you will never ever see it. However, I did notice that one of the heater hose connection stays always a little wet. I think the hose clamp connection is a little weak in that spot, I just haven't bothered to do anything about it yet.

My 4WD Suburban, I cannot figure out. It's dripping near the water pump, but I cannot find the actual exit for anything. Right now I got to get the tomatoes out in the ground, because tomatoes. But after that I'm going to have to dig into both of these and find that leak.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Problem Solved...

I actually saw the leak coming from the thermostat housing above the flange where the gooseneck starts coming up from the flange... didn't see a crack but it looked like a casting flaw maybe that took years to develop and would open up slightly when it got hot enough and would expand and seep...
Thanks to everyone who replied... (picture below is of new housing, arrow shows the spot of seep on old housing)

You must be registered for see images attach