Coolant Leak... strange but true

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like when my intake was leaking. Didn't know what it was until it started to pool up. Would lose coolant ever so slightly until it got worse and I resealed it.

Also did you check the water pump real well? My weep hole leaked really iffy for a while like that.
I've looked at the intake a couple times but haven't seen anything yet... I held the fan and tried to get movement from the water pump didn't seem to have any, but I didn't actually look at the weep hole, but I will take a look... thanks

Another thing to consider since it's not showing any leaks during the pressure test would be the radiator cap. I swear I saw something about this posted here recently. Same situation, no leaks under pressure during the test but would leak a little while driving. He replaced the cap and the leak disappeared.
I didn't have the cap pressure tested, but I will... thanks

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
oN THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE. tHE HOSE HAS A STEEL elbow from the radiator into the engine TOP It is aluminum and six sided like a nut where the metal hose goes into the six sided guy there are 3 STUPID STUPID STUPID o RINGS THAT FAIL CHECK THERE replace the whole six sided guy

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I think most people are steering you in the right direction and to further add; my truck also did this when the intake gaskets were gone. Over time you'd see that you need to add coolant, however the oil never got milky but you could smell it when shutting off. My best guess is that the leak was just enough to get into the cylinders directly and it was being burned. Intake gaskets fixed the smell and the leak, and the truck ran noticeably better.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
oN THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE. tHE HOSE HAS A STEEL elbow from the radiator into the engine TOP It is aluminum and six sided like a nut where the metal hose goes into the six sided guy there are 3 STUPID STUPID STUPID o RINGS THAT FAIL CHECK THERE replace the whole six sided guy
i'll have to take a look... thanks

I think most people are steering you in the right direction and to further add; my truck also did this when the intake gaskets were gone. Over time you'd see that you need to add coolant, however the oil never got milky but you could smell it when shutting off. My best guess is that the leak was just enough to get into the cylinders directly and it was being burned. Intake gaskets fixed the smell and the leak, and the truck ran noticeably better.
yeah, several have talked about the iffy intake leaks and i'm watching it... thanks

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
field trip to the big orange box and back and discovered this:
You must be registered for see images attach

looks like it may have been seeping from the thermostat gasket, but I don't actually see it leaking... hose looked good and clamp was tight so it looks like i'll throw a gasket at her...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Give the thermostat bolts a ton of PB Blaster well ahead of time. You don't want one of the bolts broken off in intake; it can suck to fix.

Don't overlook the possibility of the hose leaking regardless of the clamp being tight. The water neck can corrode and the hose will leak around it. I've had to replace a couple due to that.

Richard

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Give the thermostat bolts a ton of PB Blaster well ahead of time. You don't want one of the bolts broken off in intake; it can suck to fix.

Don't overlook the possibility of the hose leaking regardless of the clamp being tight. The water neck can corrode and the hose will leak around it. I've had to replace a couple due to that.

Richard
will do, i'm going to pull the housing and hose apart to check things out... I hope this will fix the leak its been driving me crazy looking for it every time I drive the truck... thanks Richard

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will do, i'm going to pull the housing and hose apart to check things out... I hope this will fix the leak its been driving me crazy looking for it every time I drive the truck... thanks Richard

Let us know the outcome. I found a small puddle in the same spot on mine the other day. Doesn't appear to be leaking from the hose or thermostat housing either. But it's coming from somewhere.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's several possible sources for a leak to collect in that spot. Hose, water neck, thermostat gasket (more likely on the earlier models since they use a paper gasket instead of the split o-ring style), crack in the intake by the temp sensor from overtightening, or simply intake gasket leak - they erode near the very front ports as that's where the coolant goes through, so it could be leaking up at the front and migrating rearwards to pool on the intake.

Driver's side front eroded completely through at the top; this one was spotted leaking down the front of the head, though:

Passenger side not much better:

Richard

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
Let us know the outcome. I found a small puddle in the same spot on mine the other day. Doesn't appear to be leaking from the hose or thermostat housing either. But it's coming from somewhere.
will do... I ordered an ac delco thermostat and housing and a fel pro gasket but its not arriving until Wednesday so I most likely won't get to it until Saturday...