Column gear shift selector broken!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tequilatool

Reaction score
Hi all, my pains continue, now the gear shift selector snapped off from the column. Was quite hard to move the shifter previously, now the metal mechanism is broken along with the plate that holds it to the steering column, what a mess!!

I would appreciate any help or info as to how to remove the plastic shroud from the column. Do i have to remove the steering wheel?? if so how do i remove that as it has the airbag and i don't wanna sore face?

I removed a torx screw from below the shroud thinking the top and bottom parts would come apart but its a pain and i cant seem to get them apart, looks to me like i'll need to remove the wheel in order to get the 2 parts of the shroud to come off and also clear the plastic ignition piece where the key goes in order to replace the shifter mechanism. Im in mexico and dont speak much spanish, haynes manuals are all in spanish here so im stuck. Truck is a 1998 4x4 sierra ext cab. Thanks in advance for any info or help or pics.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can replace the shifter assembly without removing the airbag, steering wheel, etc. Just the column plastics need to come off. There are some torx screws on the bottom plastic piece, some of them are recessed a bit. The bottom piece is sort of hinged into the top piece as well, so just take your time and ease it apart.

The top plastic, if you must remove it, has a couple external style torx screws going in from underneath it, just look around and you'll see; if you don't have external torx sockets you can usually get away with a regular socket - try metric and standard until you get one that won't slip, also try 6 vs. 12 point. It'll work. Here's the gotcha though; to remove the top plastic you have to remove the plastic "knob" bezel from the ignition switch. It simply pries off. Some of them come right off, some of them are stuck like stupid glue and you have to be careful not to break the plastic piece you're prying against. Again, take your time.

Then you have some torx bolts holding the shifter assembly to the column. See the ones in this pic with the white paint marker on them...I believe there's 3, maybe 4 total. Not the ones with blue paint marker.
You must be registered for see images attach

The likely reason yours was hard to move and eventually broke, is the BTSI (brake-to-shift-interlock) solenoid is probably going bad. It's a black plastic device that is connected to the shifter near the shift cable. Has a 2 wire connector to it. Just pop that sucker off, and beware that you no longer have the hand-holding nanny safety feature of needing to press the brake to shift out of park.

Richard

chasinbass

Reaction score
You can replace the shifter assembly without removing the airbag, steering wheel, etc. Just the column plastics need to come off. There are some torx screws on the bottom plastic piece, some of them are recessed a bit. The bottom piece is sort of hinged into the top piece as well, so just take your time and ease it apart.

The top plastic, if you must remove it, has a couple external style torx screws going in from underneath it, just look around and you'll see; if you don't have external torx sockets you can usually get away with a regular socket - try metric and standard until you get one that won't slip, also try 6 vs. 12 point. It'll work. Here's the gotcha though; to remove the top plastic you have to remove the plastic "knob" bezel from the ignition switch. It simply pries off. Some of them come right off, some of them are stuck like stupid glue and you have to be careful not to break the plastic piece you're prying against. Again, take your time.

Then you have some torx bolts holding the shifter assembly to the column. See the ones in this pic with the white paint marker on them...I believe there's 3, maybe 4 total. Not the ones with blue paint marker.

The likely reason yours was hard to move and eventually broke, is the BTSI (brake-to-shift-interlock) solenoid is probably going bad. It's a black plastic device that is connected to the shifter near the shift cable. Has a 2 wire connector to it. Just pop that sucker off, and beware that you no longer have the hand-holding nanny safety feature of needing to press the brake to shift out of park.

Richard

Just an FYI if your brack light switch is loose- clip not holding itb tight anymore it wont unlock the silinoid and the colunm mount will break lol mine was stuck in park and I got pissed and forced it and it broke it cost me 100.00 plus a tow job for a 98 cent clip so check that while your under there and its an easy repair once steering column covers are off 15 min at the most.

hunter_z71

Reaction score
Im also having a hard time getting my truck out of park. It used to only do it every now and then but now it constantly is hard to move from park into any gear. Do you think its just the brake to shift interlock solenoid or something more serious? Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brake light switch is bad or solenoid for the interlock is bad. Ridiculously easy to disconnect the interlock mechanism, or to work around it, turn the key just past the lock position but not "on" so in other words your dash isn't lit up. Foot solidly on brake, shift to neutral, start engine, select your next gear.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It just pops off. Look for the black plastic rod where it attaches onto the shift mechanism, and gently pry it off with a screwdriver, door panel tool, etc. The shift cable attaches the same way so just be sure you're working on the BTSI. Follow the rod down to where it's got a sort of circular device on it with a 2 wire connector.

Richard

Gerry Little

Reaction score

Richard

Hey Richard, don't mean to bother you but Ive been having this shift column mechanism problem for about 3-4 years now. My problem is, the three screws that go into the actual shift column mechanism... one of the threads that it screws into is broken. Do you know of any possible solutions for this?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Richard, don't mean to bother you but Ive been having this shift column mechanism problem for about 3-4 years now. My problem is, the three screws that go into the actual shift column mechanism... one of the threads that it screws into is broken. Do you know of any possible solutions for this?

@someotherguy
It's an old thread, he may not see your question.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

OK, sure looks like one of the previous breaks, someone reefed on the shifter hard enough that it broke the column casting as well? Time for a replacement column, and some investigation into how it got broken in the first place.. as in, who the hell is abusing the truck?

Root cause of most of these failures seems to be the brake-to-shift-interlock failing and people just start yanking on the shifter because they think that will make it work. This generally just breaks the shift mechanism...not the whole damn column.

Be aware that if your truck is a '98-up (didn't see your year mentioned) you will need a column from same year-up; a '97 won't have the same casting; there's an extra hole where the parts for the Passlock connector attach near the tumbler. Get a column with a key. You have to turn the tumbler with the key to remove it, so a column without a key is a big pain in the ass.

Richard