96' c1500 5.7l gear selector light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HonkeyYak96

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Chris and this is my first post. I have a 96' c1500 5.7l with a little over 300K miles on it and a few minor upgrades but this issue has nothing to do with driveability. Its actually the gear selector light. A couple of days ago I change the fluid, filter and gasket on my 4l60e. I almost dropped the tranny to check another issue. I actually unplugged the connectors to the park/ neutral safety switch and unhooked the shift cable but didn't really mess with it from then on. After the parts mentioned above were installed and began a little test drive, I noticed that the gear selector light only illuminates in P, R and N. I don't understand how half of the lights work and not the other half. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Recheck the connections to the PN switch on the transmission, check for loose wires in the area of those two connectors. That switch body on the side of the transmission is in control of those lights so the problem is likely there.