Colum shift lever selector,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1989 c1500, Colum shift lever selector, stock cluster. Any postings anywhere about fixing the selector? Think I remember there is a wire? or string line in there? that breaks? So it never shows what gear your in.. sorry pic off center lol..

Attachments

• P9140005.JPG
    P9140005.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 6

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, there is definitely a string up under the column. I remember having to adjust it after I replaced my transmission years ago. I know I have seen it recently when I removed my gauge cluster to fix the dog light switch.
I'll try and get a picture when I get home later. There was something in the repair manual I have about it as well, that's how I knew about it. I'll dig that up too if nobody responds before I do.
1989 c1500, Colum shift lever selector, stock cluster. Any postings anywhere about fixing the selector? Think I remember there is a wire? or string line in there? that breaks? So it never shows what gear your in.. sorry pic off center lol..

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember removing my cluster last year, but somehow I saw it broke.
There's a little plastic tab on the lower steering shaft cover on which the cable rides. That tab can wear off, and break, giving you too much slack to move the indicator. Unfortunately it's practically impossible to find a replacement cover. I looked a couple years ago - couldn't find anything new or old. The cover is different for tilt wheel or straight shaft.