CODE 44 - Lean Exhaust? Low oxygen sensor voltage..350 TBI code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep that's what I plan to do! I may go ahead and pull the TB back apart and check the TBspacer gaskets that I just installed last nigh but they aren't sticking out anywhere ya know?!? They seem to fit perfecto :hmm: Also another thing is the CEL came on last night when I was idling for a bit and I haven't seen it since and I've done a bit of driving in between then so I may go check to see if it's still tripping the code and then like squeaky said, try and disconnect the battery for a hour or so and see if it resets.

Could just be the engine didn't like all the new airflow mods coming into the engine?? Anyway, I do however definitely plan on getting the exhaust leak fixed this week for sure along with the o2 sensor If I need to do that!

Oh btw check out my air intake setup I made today tell me what you think!
You must be registered for see images attach

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, and here is why I think my "exhaust leak" is the main problem. Look at the hack job they did that I didn't find till later.
Okay I just checked for the code and although I haven't gotten a CEL all day the code 44 was still there. Let me show you reason #1 why I think it's doing this bullshit code...Check out this hack exhaust job and the 1 pic is the 1" space in between my passenger side exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. Check it out my o2 sensor wire doesn't look so hot either. Let me know what you think.

Now the section of exhaust that's hacked off was supposed to be like that where they cut off my old Y pipe to do true duals but look at how terrible the welding and fitting of the pipes is. Not to mention my o2 looks terrible plus the manifold gap...Basically I'm guessing it leaks all around before and after that o2 sensor, which is why I think this code is mainly the exhaust leak.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Bro I'd fix that exhaust ASAP if I were you. No offense but I'd never allow to pay anyone to hack my truck up like that. But your on the right track get a bolt in that exhaust flange, and maybe a new o2 sensor. Little parts being brand new lime that can never hurt.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the problem was the dude did it super cheap under the counter while the boss wasnt there and had his deaf f'ing black guy weld it up and this is what he did I don't wanna go busting him out to the boss and get him fired over a bad welding job but im unsure what to do.

So I guess we are all in agreement now that MAYBE just maaaybbbeee this F'ing hack job exhaust is the problem...I went and took the TB back apart and sure enough the gaskets are fine. Someone said spraying starting fluid and it bogging means there is a vacuum leak but another member verified AFTER i took it all back apart that that was bad info and it's normal because the starting fluid is like dumping more fuel and thus the motor bogs out. As usual I go creating more problems for myself by trying to help myself. Broke the bolt head clean the fuuuu off. The one that goes into the TB. Good news is it's tight, and I was able to screw the aircleaner stud bolt into the top of it so I could button it all up. Problem is next time I need to remove the TB I have quite the problem :nono: I swear sometimes...

Last edited:

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Man that sucks bro! But dont worry it can all be fixed. I'd maybe do a new y-pipe while your at it to match the diameter exhaust pipe to help back pressure

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah I love my true duals...I've had a Y pipe setup on this truck for almost 10 years and I just had this exhaust setup done this spring so I def wanting to keep it. **** backpressure. Most people around here act like that's a made up word. I've heard so many arguments for and against "backpressure" in exhaust threads and so many contradictions I'm starting to believe it's a made up word. Bottom line though I love true duals and I passed inspection near perfect with them compared to barely passing or having to try 2 times to pass with the Y pipe setup sooo :hmm:

I'm thinking I've got to go back to the exhaust shop that hacked this up even if it does get the kid in trouble because it's not fair to me and I don't have the money for this.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You shortcut taking.....blah!!! Have the shop cut 1 inch in front of welds and 1 foot behind them and bend new tubing to the shape needed for those curves. Like that new "cold air intake" hehe, deleting the silencer box opens alot more "leg room" under the hood. How did ya like the accelerator cable location when you put that TB spacer on? Mine was a bit short, and was also at a bad angle to throttle shaft, which made the pedal seem stiffer to press. If ya get that issue, you can remove the bolts that hold your bracket to intake and get them matched at a hardware store for ones 1.5" longer(or however thick your TB spacer is), then use either washers or get some shims cut(welding shims together with a bridge helps with support) and that helps re-align your cable bracket and throttle shaft.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its the exhaust leak thats causing it my sons truck had a leak at the donut gasket an a crack in y plpe just before the o2, caused the code i welded the pipe fixed donut leak cleared code all is good