Cluster problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
I
Here’s the diagnostic for a 98. It’s what Chuck_13 said above, ground it and see what happens.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright tried grounding it and nothing happened, does anyone happen to have a diagram for where the wire ends up?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I

Alright tried grounding it and nothing happened, does anyone happen to have a diagram for where the wire ends up?

The diagram shows it (Dark green wire, circuit #35) going through the firewall at grommet P101 near the underhood lamp and connecting under the passenger airbag at C200. Beyond that, it appears to run straight to the instrument cluster. Unless the dash has been out, I’d suspect any damage to the wire to likely be near the sensor itself.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Well fellas after a few hours of tracing down a wire, I finally found the problem. What I ended up doing was pulling my cluster out & running a hot wire to the plug for the sensor, hit all the prongs on the cluster plug with a test light to find exactly which wire it was. It’s the fourth one from the passenger side on the bottom.

Used a quick splice on that wire (should be two green wires side by side) the one closes to the drivers side is the correct one. So Once I had the wire spliced to the cluster plug I reinstalled the cluster. Ran the wire out and tried grounding it, boom it pegged out towards hot. I thought I had it beat then. So I ran the wire through the firewall. I didn’t want to cut the stock plug off so I put another quick splice on the wire coming from the main harness. But for some reason when I tried to ground it then it wouldn’t do anything & yes I know for a fact the splice was connected good because i removed it and stripped the wire back a little and did straight wire to wire....still nothing at all when I ground it out.

Got to thinking maybe the wire had come out of the plug so I pushed the lock in on the plug pulled the wire out and the wire was still connected to the end properly.

Now I’m scratching my head wondering what in the heck could be wrong. I by pass the plug and ground the wire I have spliced into the cluster plug & it pegs out just like it should. I double checked the wire going into the plug & it was fine just as before or at least I thought so. I’m not sure how it happened (gauge hasn’t worked since I bought the truck a few weeks ago) but some how or anything the wire just a little up from the plug has come apart on the inside & I couldn’t tell from the way the out of the wiring looked.