Clunk !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
When i Shift my truck from Park or Neutral in to drive it makes a clunking sound coming from the drive line some where in the back i know its not the transmission or the T-case. Any help would be great. Thanks

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is probably your rear u joint. Just crawl under the truck and grab the driveshaft near the rear end. It will probably have a ton of play. You should fix it asap so it doesn't possibly break while driving and cause more damage to other parts.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
deff sounds like u-joints or even though you said it sounds like its coming from the back, the slip yoke on the front of the driveshaft where it goes into the transfer case is a known problem

if the u-joints are worn and there is play you need to replace them soon

if the slip yoke is the noise, all you need to do is take the driveshaft out and put some grease in the slip yoke to quite it down

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing and the rear u joint is trashed. It also causes the truck to vibrate at certain rpms.

bigred92chev

Reaction score
I just replaced all the u joints in my truck they were shot i could move the drive shaft back and forth up to almost a inch. Thanks for the help.