Cloyes 3092 slack in chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Burban57

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just installed the cloyes 3092 timing set on my 5.7 vortec and I am surprised with the amount of slack in the chain. Has anyone else experienced this? And is it somewhat normal? I need to post a video somehow? Maybe to YouTube so you guys can see.

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Wouldn't an oversize sprocket change the "gear ratio" and make the cam spin faster if the crank sprocket is oversized and vice-versa? Stupid question...but I need to know...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "root" between each tooth is a thousandth or five less-deep. Based on the tooth count, the sprockets are still a 2:1 ratio, but with the chain tighter.

Seems like some timing set companies build oversize gears to make the chain tighter, and others select the smallest of the mass-production chains in order to take up slack.

97Burban57

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called cloyes tech and they said anything under 3/8 inch slack is good. I measured 1/4 slack so I'm gonna leave it. I am however adding blue loctite to the cam sprocket bolts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only sloppy chain I've ever put on was an LT4/4.3 single roller chain. They're pitifully small. New one was no tighter than the old one, so I returned the new one. Earlier this year I had it apart again and it was so loose I feared it was ready to snap, so I bought a new link set and it went on gutentight.