Cloth seat upholstery removal for cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have removed the cloth upholstery on other vehicles so I could soak them in the sink with some Oxyclean to get them very clean. Are there any difficulties with removing the cloth off the 60/40 seats and armrest console in my 97? I've used my Little Green steamer, but as the material dries, the dirt is wicked back to the surface and shows. I just put all the interior back in yesterday after removing it to power wash the carpet. Big improvement there but the seats still aren't where I want them to be after cleaning. I've done bucket seats in my daughters' cars by removing the upholstery and it works great, but I didn't want to start on the truck and run into an issue.

I've tried the search to no avail.

blueridgerobbie

RiverMonster
Reaction score
I have already made this mistake.....The cloth seats are glued in the seams whereas the leather ones are velcro'ed. If you disassemble the seats, be very careful and plan on having to re-glue all the indents or seams. I would just pay a professional upholsterer to take them off , then you could clean them and have the pro put them back. I stopped at the drivers side, and I am still kicking my own butt for doing it. It even tore the foam a bit in the seams.....:suicide:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Taking the covers off to clean can be both a good & bad thing. Oxyclean in COLD water! Hang to dry, NOT in the dryer!
If they are still not clean enough, you can try this. 'Zippo' type lighter fluid. It's naptha. Same as what dry cleaners use.
You can only do smallish areas at a time, because it evaporates fairly fast. Say, 8" X 8". Drizzle it on the area to be cleaned, let it sit for a minute or two, then using compressed air (blowgun) blow the dirt through the material from the face side. The naptha will loosen the dirt so that the air can push it through to the other side. Use the blowgun in a grid pattern. Side to side, corner to corner. Do the whole cover, overlapping the areas being cleaned with the naptha, completely once, before the second time, if that's needed. If the covers are of a lighter color, then 2X is the limit for doing this. The naptha has a bit of a yellow color to it and that will stain the material.
EXTINGUISH ALL FORMS OF FLAME in your well ventilated work area!!! DO NOT even think of putting the covers in the wash machine after this. Things will (apparently) go BOOM!
If you are uncomfortable with using the naptha, you could also use a household carpet cleaner in the same way, but work that into the covers first before using the compressed air. No bristley kinda brushes. Hands & gloves. You want to get the cleaner right into the material so it can do it's job of loosening up the dirt. If you aggressively scrub, all you're doing is pushing the dirt around, causing the dirt to abrade the fiber of the fabric. Let the cleaner loosen the dirt up, then blow it through with the air.
Automotive seat cover materials are, with exception of leather, 99.9% man-made fabrics. The reason for that is that those materials are tougher than anything from nature, & by design, tend to be resilient to chemicals. The fibers are so smooth that they will resist holding onto stains. It's the dirt that causes abrasion between the fibers that will break down the material.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know about the glued in seams and thought they were velcroed. That's why I asked and why I love these message boards. I'll clean the best I can with the covers on.