Click No Start - New Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a new problem with the truck.

Every once in a while I would get a click no start as if the battery was dead, but the next try it would start.

I cleaned the terminals, changed the battery, cleaned all the grounds I could find and it has been good for about a week.

Yesterday it did the same thing, click no start, then the next try it started. This morning click click click no start this time.

I was supposed to take the truck camping this weekend so I'm looking to get this fixed asap if possible.

Related Symptoms: After its been running for a while, on restart it would sometimes be very slow to start but would always start. Not the starter but engine would sound as if it was gonna die but then it would run fine.

Already has a new FP, Injectors, Coil, Plugs, Wires, Battery, Distributor, Compression is good.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, if I replace the ignition switch does it have to be programmed or something?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clean the stuffing out of the connection at the starter. Unbolt the cable and the rotary wire brush everything, grease it and tighten. While it is loose at the starter it would not hurt to test the cable while wiggling to make sure there is no internal break.
My bet is on corrosion at the starter but it could be the starter itself.

If you don't mind field repairs take along a new starter and if Murphy is as usual in charge you will get to do a shade tree install.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you using the side terminals on the battery? Reason I ask is I had these exact same symptoms with an Optima yellow top that was only a couple months old. Turned out to be an internal crack in the positive side terminal. I agree that it's more likely a cable or starter issue, but if everything checks out and you're still having issues, I'd swap the battery and see what happens.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem I once had on my '95 and here's the thread of my problem Won't start and only 1 click at the starter ?

Ended up being a $9 "positive cable" that runs from the battery side post to the starter. Ten minute change and it fired right up.

Even after I removed the old and inspected it I still couldn't see any bad areas on the cable. Regardless it was bad and most likely corroded on the inside.

good luck and please advise after you figure out what the problem was. It's nice to get the final answer to these problems that occur.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, lots of good info. I'm hoping I resolved the issue but time will tell. I actually read your entire thread yesterday Darrell as well as the link you posted east302. I am using side posts dfx2, I actually did happen to notice some scouring on the negative post but I assumed its from the spark when I threaded it in.

So update: After work I tried to start the truck and got the click. I then grabbed my can of electric contact cleaner and sprayed the alt cable connection and the batt cable connection to the fuse junction box. I also sprayed inside the ignition where they key goes. Went to start it and it fired up! Turned it off and it started again.

Pulled it into the garage, and cleaned the ground that is on the frame right by the starter, must have missed it last time. I didnt touch the wires on the starter Eveready, just because they looked pretty clean upon inspection. I did spray the **** out of them with the electrical cleaner. I also stuffed the ignition with a Clorox wipe and a lot of dirt came out. I wiggled all the wires as well while I was in there, they all seem ok.

I started it up about 10 times within 20 minutes and it started every time. I took it around the block, came back shut it off, turned it back on and it restarted just fine.

I'm going to continue driving it for the rest of the week and see what happens.

Have any of you guys heard of a no start condition because of dirt in the key hole? Is there a VATS like system that reads the keys like in older 90s GM vehicles?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it sorted out. I’d bet it was a poor contact that you resolved with the cleaning...I’m pretty sure the Passlock only disables the fuel injectors, making it crank but not start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk