Chrome grill paintable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious about my grill swap when I get back. Do I need to find a factory color matched grill or can I paint the chrome ones. What has to be done to it to prep it? Is it worth my time or should I just buy one and pay the $150 shipping on it.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'm on my phone so I can't look to see what grill you have. I'm guessing the older style grill. I got a paintable newer style grill bought and shipped to me for $80

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just scraped all the chrome off my grille then sanded and primed.

Want to know how you did this.

I'm on my phone so I can't look to see what grill you have. I'm guessing the older style grill. I got a paintable newer style grill bought and shipped to me for $80

Yea I have the older grill. Where'd you get it from? I'm worried about the reproduction stuff not fitting very good. I was gonna get a GM one out of a yard somewhere but most of them are chrome.

Also where can I get a bowtie for the newer grill. I want one that's black with red pinstripe just like my stock one.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
my Bowtie from the older grill fit the newer one, even a factory gm grill that was chrome that's had for a whole.

The grill I got fit good except it didn't come with the lower bumper filler piece which holds the bottom in. I'll try to dig up the link in a little bit.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha, so your old bowtie fit. That's good to know. I know I'll need the lower filler piece. What about the two side pieces by the bumper. Do those need to be swapped?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
The "chrome" grilles are really just chrome colored plastic...if you just sand it down a bit and then prime and paint it you should be good

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Gotcha, so your old bowtie fit. That's good to know. I know I'll need the lower filler piece. What about the two side pieces by the bumper. Do those need to be swapped?

No the pieces on the side don't have to be changed.

The lower pieces are not a direct swap, the holes line up differently. I've been thinking about trying to drill a few holes in the lower panel that line up to the bottom of the grill, and use the factory pushpins hardware to put the lower piece on the new grill.

Actually, you've inspired me. When I get home in about an hour I might try to get it done. Make sure to remind me! :lol:

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks for all the info everybody. I guess when I get back I'm gonna go to a yard and get a grill and a fill panel and a lower valance with fog holes or tow holes (surprise to come later :) )