Chevyman0191's Build Thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
I decided it was time for a build thread, I got this truck when i was 16 and the vehicle ive had my since i was 16 it is the first vehicle i have owned. It is a 97 silverado 1500. My dad bought this truck brand new in 1997 and had it custom built the way he wanted with 3rd door which came out that year,power everything, bucket seats, upgraded stereo,overhead console and has manual 4x4 in the floor instead of the push button. My dad put 242,*** miles on it before i got it, it was his family truck and went every where, pulled a boat to lake and to the beach for family vacations for years. I got it with the transmission slowing starting to go down hill, slipping in some gears. The truck stayed stocked for most of its life except for the duel exhaust my dad added, till i got it, within a year, i changed the wheels to newer NBS wheels off a 08 silverado. I drove the truck like that for awhile, then decided a leveling kit from ready lift which was a huge waste of money and had aliment trouble ever since, but ran the truck like that for a couple years. At about 250,*** miles the transmission finally went out and i got it rebuilt. At 262,*** miles the motor went, i wanted to do a 5.3 liter, but ended up having a brand new 5.7 from the dealer ship installed by one of my mechanics. In Spring of 10, i got new duel exhaust installed because i wanted it louder and ended up putting on 2 flow-master 10 series with 2.25" pipe, after my graduation from high school, i decided to get new tires and go bigger, so i had 285/70/R17 mickey thomston baja atz's put on. Shortly after that i had new ball joints installed. December 2010, i got the bull guard, pro comp stainless lights, spray in bed liner for the truck. In May 2011, i installed towing mirrors. November 2011 i had a catalytic convertor engine light on so replaced both catalytic convertors. October 2011, i ordered a new factory radio head unit to replace my old one since most of my lights were burnt out and it was driving me nuts, also replaced the burnt out lights in the cab that lights the floor up, door panel lights, all the window/ door lock switch lights, and the 4x4 lights in the floor. January 2012, i got tired of the chrome tips i had ran out the back and wanted a little louder so i had 3" pipe redone from the muffler with the pipes turned down at the rear fenders. April 23, 2012 i finally got the lift i had been wanting for the truck, I had a 4" RCX installed. Ive prolly missed some little things but thats most that has been done and still more to come as its a slow build since am a college student.

Couldn't find pics of truck with old wheels, truck stock with new wheels and Goodyear 265/70/R17. Right before i got it dad hit a deer going 60 MPH busted the grill, parking lights, and radiator. Truck has new grill, radiator, and parking lights in these pics. I later changed the head lights to match the new parking lights.

You must be registered for see images attach

Billet 3rd light cover.

Before new tires.

I

After leveling kit, bull guard and lights, new headlights, and new tires.

Last edited:

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
In May of 2011 i added the towing mirrors.

Before getting the truck lifted, I decided to do some painting, I painted the frame, hitch, all the fender wells, leaf springs, rear end, torsion bars, torsion bar bar, front plastic skid plate, transmission skid plate, and front arms. Used rustoleum paint and brushed on most of it. Don't have pics of much off it, had this one my phone.

April 2012 finally the lift kit the day i got the truck back. Rough Country 4 inch lift.

Last edited:

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
thanks guys! at this point right now am not sure what plans i have for it. Other than bigger tires after these wear out and possibly make it a 6 inch lift one day, subs under the back seat, possibly change the wheels, whos knos. I learn to much on this forum am sure ill get ideas.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also i big fan of the nbs wheels, most all the nbs wheels i have seen look great on our trucks. the only reason i am not still running them is when i lifted my truck i wanted a wider stance also and im not a fan of spacers.

Again man nice truck

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
I am also i big fan of the nbs wheels, most all the nbs wheels i have seen look great on our trucks. the only reason i am not still running them is when i lifted my truck i wanted a wider stance also and im not a fan of spacers.

Again man nice truck

thanks man, yeah i really love the nbs wheels on these trucks. Im not a fan of spacers either, that is the biggest down fall is the width of the nbs wheels, i want to go a little bit wider but ill decide what to do when it gets down to new tires.