Check Gages- Oil Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so i drove down to edmond/okc (2 hour drive) from bville bc i have a dentist appointment monday, well the truck droves normal and perfect. Drove around a bit last night and it was great, wasn't hot rodding it or anything. Well i went out today and drove ti down to bricktown with my buddies and it drove great but when i got down there the CHECK GAGES light would come on everytime id come to a stop. So i was looking at the fuel gauge, the volt gauge, the water temp gauge, and when i looked at the oil pressure gauge it was reading 0 when i was at an idle. I looked in my owners manual and it said to immediately check the oil and dont keep driving if its low bc it could catch the engine on fire. I immediately checked it and it checked out fine. Trucks running great driving great no weird feelings or anything. No weird noises. So i get back in and drive back to my friends and its driving perfectly fine, just the oil pressure gauge drops when i come to a stop, usually when its under throttle it reads about 40-60 (usually between the two closer to 60) well under throttle now it only was reading about 38-40. When i first got the truck a yr and a half ago we had the oil pump replaced and oil has been changed regularly, regular maintenance is kept up with.

I know theres the cable that runs from the speedo to something, but wouldnt there be cables running from each so they properly read right? maybe the cable is loose or something? Just confusing why its acting up when it drives great! The water temp gauge was reading its normal operating temp. the volt gauge was reading normal,and had half a tank of gas or a little over.

Anyone got an idea? i have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning round 8 so after that im gonna run to the shop where they installed my oil pump when it was worked on.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Sounds like the oil sending unit. Its located behind the distubter

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
i had the same issue awhile back, i ended up having a severe oil leak on the bottom of my truck where the oil filter assembly is. some mechanic that worked on it the day before put a bad gasket on it and it was spewing oil everywhere, but i only noticed when i was stopped, the pressure went to 0, i ignored it and went home and oil was all over my driveway..

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had the same issue awhile back, i ended up having a severe oil leak on the bottom of my truck where the oil filter assembly is. some mechanic that worked on it the day before put a bad gasket on it and it was spewing oil everywhere, but i only noticed when i was stopped, the pressure went to 0, i ignored it and went home and oil was all over my driveway..

well i dont have that problem!!!! bc i checked the oil and its good and not leaking i checked under it and nothin! I mean i dont really have any doubt with the oilpan bolt or filter bc my buddy who works at a dealership changes my oil every now and then for free and im right beside him so im good on that! but i found the oil sending unit and at oriely its 25 bucks, weirdly i went out and started it ( didnt drive around) annd it was reading about 20 idleing or a line below, idk whats going on ill take it to my mechanic down here tomorrow after my appointment and keep an eye on it.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the oil sending unit circuit could be grounded somewhere between the sender and the gauge,

im starting to think that as well about the unit, bc i was thinking ok i know the speedo has a cable running to its gauge so i assume the others have cables attached of some sort.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im starting to think that as well about the unit, bc i was thinking ok i know the speedo has a cable running to its gauge so i assume the others have cables attached of some sort.

None of the gauges are ran by cables, all are electronic input. Possible reason for it reading higher when you started it last is cause the oil was cooler/thicker holding more pressure.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
TBI? My 92 TBI does that. Only does it hot? Changed the sending unit twice. Pressure reads normal all the way thru the rpm band until it idles down to 600rpm then reads 0 and the check light comes on. Several of the guys have talked about this. It may be one of those wierd Chevy things. Pop the oil filler cap off and check to see oil flow. If theres oil moving, If theres no lifter ticking or overheating, then your probably fine. Also, the oil sending unit has a cut off switch that protects the motor. I have been driving mine like this fer 6 months, no problems. Gonna get a high flo oil pump and oil cooler soon tho. See if that fixes it.