Check Gages- Oil Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI? My 92 TBI does that. Only does it hot? Changed the sending unit twice. Pressure reads normal all the way thru the rpm band until it idles down to 600rpm then reads 0 and the check light comes on. Several of the guys have talked about this. It may be one of those wierd Chevy things. Pop the oil filler cap off and check to see oil flow. If theres oil moving, If theres no lifter ticking or overheating, then your probably fine. Also, the oil sending unit has a cut off switch that protects the motor. I have been driving mine like this fer 6 months, no problems. Gonna get a high flo oil pump and oil cooler soon tho. See if that fixes it.

My 92 has been doing the same thing since about a month after I installed a new crate engine way back in 2006. It doesnt drop entirely to zero but gets down enough to set the light off. I've tried a couple sensors with no change. Chalked it up to just being "one of those things"

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical issue, bad oil pressure switch like theres stated

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm then what should i replace? the sending unit?? or what

maybe possible its the oil pressure switch.......

Last edited:

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well guys im in the process of uploading a video of the engine.............i think this is it :(..........maybe an excuse to start the supercharged 6.0 build?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Nice knock..that sucks man. Did you check your oil when it was cold? Mine runs damn near half way up my dipstick when hot..kinda screws your readings
My dummy light would kick on when coming to a stop sign only when the oil was low.. gauge would drop right down to 0.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol: did you run that ***** outta oil dude?

srs about that 6.0 build? or are you probably just gonna get what you have rebuilt?

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:lol: did you run that ***** outta oil dude?

srs about that 6.0 build? or are you probably just gonna get what you have rebuilt?

didnt run her outa oil, srs bsness bout 6.0 just gonna get a quote from a guy to see how much he would charge to do it compared to how much itd be for the engine and trans both to be rebuilt.

so comparing

6.0+4l80e swap in
to
5.7+4l60e rebuild