cheap tool modification for finding exhaust leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a cheap little tool I got from harbor freight, its a mechanic's stethoscope, here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html

I ended up getting 2 of them, thinking I would take apart one to build a air leak stethoscope of some kind. well on the second one, I cut the plastic holder around where the solid metal probe is held in, and removed the probe.

and with the probe removed, it works great to find exhaust leaks, even small ones, you don't hold it directly on the exhaust, but rather just above it and it'll amplify the sound from any air 'puffs' that you go over a good amount, making it a lot easier to find even small exhaust leaks that you may not be able to feel or hear un-aided.

the end is kinda bulky which makes searching for leaks in tight places difficult, but an extension could easily be fashioned. I used it looking for leaks on new welds when fabricating my dual 3" exhaust.

its nicer than using a piece of hose because the stethoscope ear pieces stay in place really well and let you use both hands when you need to.

I'd post pics of it after alterations, but I just moved and have it packed away somewhere so I don't have it handy at the moment.

bai78

Surviving...
Reaction score
I was just at Harbor Freight yesterday picking up some heat shrink & as usual saw some deals on gloves.

You can't beat the deals you find there.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, well on some stuff at least, for stuff like power tools and welders and other more complex items, I don't do my shopping at HF, but if you need an extra set of box wrenches or gloves, etc, they've got some great deals.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love harbor freight but like said you should buy a step above for the important tools. What I do for exhaust leaks is get on my crawler and feel for them just be really careful not to touch the pipe haha! I usually try to find them all right after whatever job had me remove the exhaust so they arent too too hot yet. Having a lift also helps because you can get real close and listen.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, for cheap disposable stuff or things I buy to modify, then HF all the way...without a lift its a little more difficult to get under there and feel around.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i love harbor freight...thats where i got my toolbox for work...and i use my impact every day that i bought from there and it works great