Cclb to ccsb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, i cant find hardly anything on this subject aside from one vauge thread thats several years old on a half ton.
Any one on here converted a 3500 from a longbed to shortbed?
The way i have read into doing it is re-locating the spring hangars foward and cutting the back off to the right length, a donor frame will be used from the boneyard to do this, to replace my ty extended frame under my centurion. I could leave it a longbed but would like to keep it a short if its feesable.
Heres the truck, and why im ditching the frame.. (crack #4+5 in the history of this truck) The extention in the frame took the flex out of the center and put alot more stress on the rest of it, it keeps cracking in front and behind it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Look up 98_k1500. He did this. It's gona be moving spring hangers shortening, driveshaft, use your shortbed gas tank making new rear bumper brackets. that's just off the top of my head.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what i figured as far as using the shortbed parts, ile look him up. Thanks

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a frame that is the correct length to begin with? I was thinking suburban but it looks like the wheel base may be a bit short.

I was also thinking have you tried fixing the cracks correctly (drilling a hole at the end of the crack, then welding it) and then boxing that area of the frame say, 6-12" in each direction? Just seems like a frame swap is a ton of work.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a frame that is the correct length to begin with? I was thinking suburban but it looks like the wheel base may be a bit short.

I was also thinking have you tried fixing the cracks correctly (drilling a hole at the end of the crack, then welding it) and then boxing that area of the frame say, 6-12" in each direction? Just seems like a frame swap is a ton of work.
I have fixed cracks in it in the past, others keep showing up in different places.
And no suburban frames are different and im not interestes in extending a frame to work, im confident in moving spring hangars and such, but am not in extending a frame and having the same issues im having now.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read up on that build thread, im kind of up in the air on weather or not it would be worth shortening it. The truck is registered as a rc 1500. I wonder if a cclb would raise more eyebrows than the ccsb already does

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have converted several crew cab long bed trucks in to shortbed trucks, I have also done 5 ext. stretched frames for crew cabs, for what you are wanting to do, I would shorten a 1 ton crew cab longbed frame. Like you already said move the spring hangers forward, use the shortbed gas tank and crossmembers from your existing frame. drill new holes in frame for bed mounts and bumper. It is not a difficult swap.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have converted several crew cab long bed trucks in to shortbed trucks, I have also done 5 ext. stretched frames for crew cabs, for what you are wanting to do, I would shorten a 1 ton crew cab longbed frame. Like you already said move the spring hangers forward, use the shortbed gas tank and crossmembers from your existing frame. drill new holes in frame for bed mounts and bumper. It is not a difficult swap.
That sounds like the route i want to go, do you have any write-ups on the ones you have done?