CarPuter build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckarolltape

Reaction score
Got a little bit of this stereo stuff done today. I ran my power cable into the cab threw an existing grommet next to the AC thingymajigger. some people route it to the drivers side, but that seems like a lot of cable running all over the place. anyways here are some photos of the progress. I should have it all buttoned up tomorrow.
You must be registered for see images attach
Untitled by kyle mccarty
Untitled by kyle mccarty
Untitled by kyle mccarty

I mounted all of my amps and the equalizer on a piece of wood about 16”x11” to keep the install nice and clean. once i know everything is working ill probably wrap it in some carpet.
Untitled by kyle mccarty
Untitled by kyle mccarty
Untitled by kyle mccarty

so when i find a secure clever way to mount this behind my seat i should only have to tie it into the power wire i ran, run a ground to the frame and then find a good remote wire to use because I’m deleting the factory stereo, then on the equalizer ill have a headphone jack running up between the seat, but I’m thinking of using a bluetooth module for streaming my media. and i will just control the volume from my phone.

And to make it clear I'm not some car audio guy. Just killing time and waiting on all my parts from rock auto to show up. but a man needs his music and i refuse to mount a deck on this funky dash board.

Anyways Thanks for looking.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thats a nice clean setup ya got there. A few of these would get rid of the tape though.

Also truck looks nice! I didnt realize you were the one with the overland rig. What the heck is a rasberry? Lol

Last edited:

duckarolltape

Reaction score
Thats a nice clean setup ya got there. A few of these would get rid of the tape though.

Also truck looks nice! I didnt realize you were the one with the overland rig. What the heck is a rasberry? Lol

Yeah I only had three for the firewall and fender. Didn't plan on even making this amp mount. Let Alone hiding the wires.

duckarolltape

Reaction score
And a raspberry pi is a $30 dollar computer. People make all kinds of oporating systems for them. Hopefully I'll have a back up camera, gps navigation, wifi and a hardrive with all my ****, a touch screen, and a OBD1 reading to display all my sensors information if I'd like.

duckarolltape

Reaction score
Today I got the stereo roughed in, but I'm not finished with it. Just gonna listen to it for a while before I go even further with the CarPuter.
Untitled by kyle mccarty

The amp mount still needs Capet so the MDF board isn't exposed. But I'm gonna do that another time. I've pulled it out and reinstalled it one to many times. Another time would kill me lol. but its cool only having a headphone jack. its pretty simple and not flashy.
Untitled by kyle mccarty

I'm also only running rear 4x6 speakers. I couldn't get them into the dash and when I listened to it it's good enough, so I'll go get some money back for those.

But it sounds great!!! Lots of bass for a little 8 inch sub, and it doesn't take up 'too much space' I think I can live with it and still be able to put gear behind the drivers side. 12v charging streamlight, first ad kit, axe, shovel, maybe some other odds and ends.
Untitled by kyle mccarty

I also ran a RCA cable to the dash so I can use a ISimple RCA to lightening adapter with 12v wires to hook into the fuse block so it will charge my phone while I play music threw my equalizer without a head unit.
Untitled by kyle mccarty

overall i think i have like $350 dollars in this stereo system and i could saved money if i bought it all online. and i already had the JL audio amp laying around. but most head units cost that much.

steveed

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just soldered a switch using the tape player on input and then soldered a headphone jack to the aux inputs on my receiver, sounds okay but I like your setup. My speakers are crap and neither the radio or the aux-in sound very well if you turn it up beyond the halfway mark.

Can you give some details on the setup you have? It looks like an amp, a power pack and an eq. What size subwoofer and what speakers you have?

My guess is: aux->powerpack->eq then eq splits to amp->sub and standard speakers?

I like the idea of a carputer, maybe take an aurdino and use the factory head (not the receiver) to control it.