Carbureted guys, get in here! (Need some advice).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Got it. She's a Holley 3310-3, 750cfm, 4160 type.

That's a great street carb, same carb my very own is built off of... Super reliable, easy to work with, plentiful parts and help... u got a winner bro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good carb. I have both a 3310 and a 080508, which is the electric coke version. The 080508 is what I have on my Camaro right now.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
How hard would you guys say it is to rebuild? Thinking about dunking it in carb cleaner for a few hours then ripping it apart to rebuild. If I remember right, it hasn't run since the 80's.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tear it apart first, make sure the little alignment dowels are still on the metering block and bowls. Don't use any kind of rtv or sealant on it, and get the kits with the blue gaskets. Coat the primary side gaskets with chapstick before reinstalling, that way if you have to change jets, the gaskets won't stick on you. You should probably order a secondary spring kit and some jets in the 69-76 range. Summit sells a Holley 4160 tuning kit you could get for it with jets, springs and some other little parts that are good to have. Since you didn't have to buy the carb, you can put a little money into tuning it proper.

edit: I couldn't find it all together as a kit, so here are some parts I would get to help you get it set up right:

Seconday Quick Change Kit: Allows you to tune how quickly your secondaries open so you engine doesn't bog down because of them flying open:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-59/overview/

Spring set to go with above:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-13/overview/

And a calibration kit: I know it says for a 4150, but 90% of the parts interchange. This will get you jets, gaskets, power valves and some other small parts to help get her dialed in just right.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-36-182/overview/

And the Holley brand rebuild kit for it:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-37-754/overview/

Secondary metering plate conversion: If you have the dual center hung floats, this is a plate to replace the metering plate in the secondary side. It allows you to tune the secondary side w/o drilling and peening the plates to get the proper fuel flow. Once you've gotten it set, you can remove this to use in another carburetor and buy the proper size secondary plate. I have this for my Holleys.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-34-3/overview/

I'll give a drag racing buddy of mine a shout later and see what kit he uses to rebuild his Holley stuff. We were just talking about it the other day, but I can't remember what he uses. The kit he gets was cheaper and he was really impressed with the quality of it.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
How hard would you guys say it is to rebuild? Thinking about dunking it in carb cleaner for a few hours then ripping it apart to rebuild. If I remember right, it hasn't run since the 80's.

A kit is about $50, pretty simple. i have done about 4 of them

I am a Holley guy, i run a Demon on my truck (Glorified holley) and a Holley Q-JeT replacement on my LeMans, Dad runs a 850DP on his Camaro.

4160 is a good carb, has Metering Plate on secondary side, metering block on primary.

750CFM is a little large for what you are doing, but it should work fine, especially since its a Vacuum secondary carb. I would use it for now but keep an eye out for a 4150 650CFM

Holley's are simple to rebuild, really isnt much to them.

Some eyecandy for ya, You can see my fuel setup here, Demon 650 with Holley BP regulator.
You must be registered for see images

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
A kit is about $50, pretty simple. i have done about 4 of them

I am a Holley guy, i run a Demon on my truck (Glorified holley) and a Holley Q-JeT replacement on my LeMans, Dad runs a 850DP on his Camaro.

4160 is a good carb, has Metering Plate on secondary side, metering block on primary.

750CFM is a little large for what you are doing, but it should work fine, especially since its a Vacuum secondary carb. I would use it for now but keep an eye out for a 4150 650CFM

Holley's are simple to rebuild, really isnt much to them.

Some eyecandy for ya, You can see my fuel setup here, Demon 650 with Holley BP regulator.
You must be registered for see images

Yeah I figured even a 650 would have been a little overkill. But will I be able to run a lopey cam with no problems with my 750? Not for power, just for sound. Maybe bump up to .400 lift with a big overlap? Keep in mind I know next to nothing about carbs and not much about cams. I already have a stall converter.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind I know next to nothing about carbs and not much about cams. I already have a stall converter.

Then your time and money would be better spent with books to teach you about what's going on so you can make informed decisions and gain both sound and performance. HP books had many good books on small block chevy performance that will be worth more than anything to you right now.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Joey, if you really don't want to rebuild it yourself, most of the reputable shops around here will rebuild any Holley for around $70.