Carbureted guys, get in here! (Need some advice).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a Holley (Quick Fuel) guy but if I were to ever make a change, QJ is the only other option for me besides a Fast or Holley stand-alone FI kit.... I'm not saying you couldn't make the Edelbrock work but a Holley based carb or QJ would be a much better option. GL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Holley 750 4160 on my 84 Camaro. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's no where near as daily driver friendly as my Q-Jets. I grew up a mile from a 1/8 mile drag strip and my Dad still has people begging him to come tune their cars even though he's been out of racing since before I was born. He and his ex-brother-in-law had quite a successful run in the 70's with a 500cid Hemi powered 71 Challenger with dual 600 Holleys. It wasn't near the fastest car, but it was dead nuts on the numbers and too fast on top end to catch. They won several championships with that old car.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
QJ's are the ultimate DD carbs no doubt but I already had so much Holley experience, help, and parts it just made sense for me to give it a go on my build. I built a 750 4160 using all QF parts, added a secondary metering block kit (no more plate bs), proform center section, and several other goodies... should provide plenty of fuel for my build and be very streetable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a 750 DP Demon on my 90 and top end was awesome, but as a DD it sucked.......swapped it over to a 650 Holley and was a very streetable ... Im not a Holley fan or a Quadra Junk fan either but if it works it works.... Atleast with the QJ you wont have to keep adjusting it, Holleys can be very tempermental at times!!

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to convert my truck also.

The q-jet carbs I'm finding are 750 cfm, is that too much for a 305 or 350?

How about some talk about the other conversion parts?

What kind of intake manifold is needed ect.?

Last edited:

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to convert my truck also.

The q-jet carbs I'm finding are 750 cfm, is that too much for a 305 or 350?

How about some talk about the other conversion parts?

What kind of intake manifold is needed ect.?

They adjust themselves to be what ever flow you need, up to 750cfm. There are a select few in the 80's that had a casting changed to limit the amount the secondary air valves could open and limited them to 500cfm. They were used on 4.3l's in full size trucks and vans IIRC. You can also tighten the spring on the secondary air valves to slow their opening if you have the bog that so many people complain about. You can even tighten it to the point the secondaries do not operate at all.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget, if your going to swap to a carb setup you will need a new intake also, one that fits the vortec heads on your truck, edelbrock makes one, i think gm performance parts does also

Shame you aren't close, i've got a edelbrock performer rpm for sell

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ha, the only people that call them quadrajunks are the ones that dont know how to tune/work on them. bouncing through a mud hole or hill climbing or any steep incline for that matter, the jet out performs them everytime, even the so called truck avenger. ive ran them all and had good running holleys after getting them tuned in but they were more trouble than a good set up jet. carter/edelbrocks ive found to be tempermental also and had problems with them right out of the box so bad that they wouldn't perform without major calibration changes on stock/mild engines but bolt a jet or holley on it that's been on the shelf for years and they outperform in every way.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Don't forget, if your going to swap to a carb setup you will need a new intake also, one that fits the vortec heads on your truck, edelbrock makes one, i think gm performance parts does also

Shame you aren't close, i've got a edelbrock performer rpm for sell

Pretty sure he already has the correct vortec to carb intake, and using an adapter plate on UT for his tbi.

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Use a QuadraJet. You could saw a Q-jet in half and still have twice the quality carburetor of a brand new Edelbrock. I personally wouldn't give up fuel injection, but I have a Q-jet on my K5, built one for a friends F150 truggy, another guys 350 swapped Land Cruiser, and helped Dad build one for a 68 Chevy C10. There is no other carburetor for a street vehicle.
^ this

Thanks guys! And I was just thinking of converting to HEI and getting rid of everything but the gauge senders.
HEI is the easiest way to go.

A QuadraJet's small primaries provide more accurate fuel metering at lower throttle levels such as highway use. The higher velocities through the smaller primary venturies also equate to much sharper throttle response throughout the rpm band.

A QuadraJet only has one float and needle/seat arrangement, meaning fewer wear pieces and failure points. The large single fuel bowl also means you get a more uniform fuel column over the jets, reducing the chance of having 1/2 your engine leaner than the other. Once you open those massive secondary air valves, you could have up to 750cfm capability depending on engine requirements and carburetor top plate design.

There are two different non-computer controlled QuadraJets out there, the pre-1975 (numbers starting with 70) and 1975+ (numbers stating with 170). I prefer the 170 series carburetors myself because they are generally easier to find and you always get the dual booster primaries.

Also, should you need a quick rebuild on a trip, most parts stores keep a QuadraJet kit on the shelves where you may have to wait for a Carter/Edelbrock kit to be ordered.
^ This too!

A Quadrajet its the best carb in my opinion. Many drag cars run them today still. Rebuild an old one or by one out of summit. Read up on how to dial it in our find an old guy to do it for you and you will realize it is the best! There was an episode on the power block one time, with holly actually rebuilt one.

Sent from ®obland