Carb SBC vs TBI SBC vs Gen 3 LS reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are wiping out rollers that often?
Constantly wiping them in the Tahoe's and Caprice. We probably sell more for the Dodge 3.6L Pentstar though. The rollers on the rocker arm followers of those ride directly on the cams and are garbage. These police vehicles also average an AGM battery every 3 months each.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So based on what I am hearing and what I have researched, all 3 engines have their problems here and there, but they will all probably last equally as long when properly maintained.

It’s just a question of how much effort goes into maintaining it. Seems like the vortec SBC has major problems with intake gaskets and distributors, but if replaced, my existing engine will basically be as reliable as the other options.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So based on what I am hearing and what I have researched, all 3 engines have their problems here and there, but they will all probably last equally as long when properly maintained.

It’s just a question of how much effort goes into maintaining it. Seems like the vortec SBC has major problems with intake gaskets and distributors, but if replaced, my existing engine will basically be as reliable as the other options.
I would say maintenance probably would be about equal. Oil changes,filters and plugs. Again this is second hand information but I've heard that engines running synthetic oil are more prone to seal leaks. Or maybe it's because of the low zinc content of modern oils.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm late to the party but may I suggest a Vortec 454 (96-99) instead.

Standard MPFI so no spiders. Aluminum intake so no intake manifold or gasket problems. Over 400ft/lbs at low, usable RPM from the factory. And they all came with either 4l80E or NV4500 transmissions so no slipping 4l60's every 130k miles.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec 5.7L had problems with intake gaskets two decades ago. Do they STILL have problems with gaskets, now that the gaskets have been upgraded?
The "upgrade" Felpro garbage lasted less time than the OE gaskets for me. I have used the paper ones on too many to count now.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm late to the party but may I suggest a Vortec 454 (96-99) instead.

Standard MPFI so no spiders. Aluminum intake so no intake manifold or gasket problems. Over 400ft/lbs at low, usable RPM from the factory. And they all came with either 4l80E or NV4500 transmissions so no slipping 4l60's every 130k miles.
A 454 would be great, but i don’t think i would want something so fuel-thirsty for a daily driver. Unless you guys are seeing decent fuel efficiency with them?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I dont know what your limit is but I'm getting just over 13mpg unloaded and between 11 and 12 towing with a 97 ECLB dually 454

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know what your limit is but I'm getting just over 13mpg unloaded and between 11 and 12 towing with a 97 ECLB dually 454
That doesn’t sound horrible, but I’d probably want something more efficient than a big block.