Can't move exhaust manifold enough to access head bolts 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I had no major hassle last year when i did this same cylinder head R&R to my 99 K1500, but on my 99 C1500 for some reason I just can't pry the exhaust manifold (passenger side) enough to reach the lower head bolts that sit under the exhaust port.

I can pry it away just enough to see them and even stuff a firewood splitting wedge in at the front cylinder but that's not enough access.

I cannot find anything that the manifold is binding on either.

Anyone else encountered this ?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Disconnect it from the exhaust pipe. Pull it out of the engine compartment.

While you're at it, you'll check it for warpage, probably get it planed.

And repair the the mounting studs that snap when you try to remove it from the exhaust pipe.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And repair the the mounting studs that snap when you try to remove it from the exhaust pipe.
Yeah, that's a possibility you need to be prepared for.

"I" make the nuts glow red/orange with an oxy-acetylene torch (some guys use the new "consumer grade" induction heaters, but I'm not that modern) and then let them cool some (but not completely) before applying reverse torque to them.

I NEVER use plain, OEM-style steel nuts when re-assembling. Brass nuts are harder to find, but they work marvelously. I've heard good things about stainless steel nuts, too, but I haven't tried them.