Can't figure out my power locks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I'm stumped. :suicide:

The back story: 3 1/2 years ago I bought a new inner door panel because everything was shot basically. So what does my 18 year young self do? Jury rigs the **** out of all the window switch and door lock switch wires with crimps that 4 years down the road didn't hold up.... :nono: Also messed up the damn rods that also lock the truck, so I couldn't lock my truck for the past 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure what was going through my head..... :shrug:

Alright, so the other week I bought 1992 Suburban driver and passenger door panels with the inner door panels also with the whole door wiring harness. I got home and found out the pigtails aren't the same from the door to the truck.

Here's the original door-side pigtails.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the suburban door-side pigtails... (you'll notice it has only 7 pins in, because I figured out how to pop them out, before the picture.)

Like I said I figured out how, since the pigtails had the same amount and color wires, I switched from the suburban pigtail to my trucks original pigtail. I then had a few wires left over plus quite a bit of extra pigtails hanging out. Like these: powered mirror and somethings I have no clue what they were for...

I'm trying to figure out is why my truck had 5 wires running to the power lock switch

And the suburban had 3 wires to the switch...

I cut the 2 wires out of the old door panel and added the two to the suburban panel switch and grounded them like this diagram says the are. http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1b8y1-wiring-code-power-door-lock-switches.html

So now it looks original and still haven't figured out why the door lock motor still aint engaging.

On a side note I tested the motor and they do work from a separate dc supply. Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure the door harness is from a 92 Suburban?

The first couple pictures in your post aren't showing up either.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure the door harness is from a 92 Suburban?

The first couple pictures in your post aren't showing up either.

Well the suburban was in the junkyard and I took the blue door panels off it and the inner door panels. It had pristine blue bucket seats and center console I really wanted too, :gr_grin: but had no money for....

try refreshing the page mine show up every time.

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would appear that the door lock harness controls you have controls a relay pack much like the 95-98 keyless entry trucks. I have never run across a harness that looks like that in an older truck.

According to the installer software I have, a 92 Suburban uses a positive triggered door lock system, where the 89-94 pickup trucks use a 5 wire(reverse polarity) switching system. The exception to that is the 4 dr. trucks, which use the positive trigger locking system.

I can help you make this work, are you comfortable with electrical work?

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would appear that the door lock harness controls you have controls a relay pack much like the 95-98 keyless entry trucks. I have never run across a harness that looks like that in an older truck.

According to the installer software I have, a 92 Suburban uses a positive triggered door lock system, where the 89-94 pickup trucks use a 5 wire(reverse polarity) switching system. The exception to that is the 4 dr. trucks, which use the positive trigger locking system.

I can help you make this work, are you comfortable with electrical work?

Yes I am comfortable with electrical! :gr_grin: I've got diagrams and checked the switches with my meter. They all have conductivity when I press unlock or lock on the respective pins. I hooked the passenger lock motor to 12v dc power and it took a while but it unlocked, so I switched the polarity, but it didn't go back in. There's probably more to it than reversing the polarity though. :rofl: Probably something to do with a relay pack like you said.

Edit: Fixed the first 2 pictures in 1st post I think :shrug: