Cam break-in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it break in is more for flat tappet cams then rather than roller
Yes. There may be some exception for stiff valve springs. Stock, or mild valve springs...no break-in needed.

hydraulic roller just wondered if there’s any kind of procedure recommended for that
Nothing beyond assuring that the lobes and lifters have appropriate assembly lube, (which might be as mundane as regular engine oil, ATF, or a specialized liquid assembly lube, unless you've got Superman valve springs.

Last roller cam I installed got ATF as an assembly lube on the cam lobes/lifter rollers/lifter internals. It's about the right viscosity at the room-temperature that engine assembly takes place at. Doesn't really have the perfect additive package, but it's only in-use for a few seconds, because as soon as the engine starts, the cam and lifters are bathed in engine oil which does have the right additives and protectants.

If the engine is in a Tahoe, it's really unlikely you're going to use valve springs stiff enough to bother with a "break-in".

Having done occasional oil analysis on pretty-much all of my vehicles going back multiple decades, it concerns me that folks recommend too-soon oil changes; including too-soon oil changes due to perceived contamination or other issues during "break-in".

IF (big IF) a person uses thick, moly-based paste assembly lube on flat-tappet cam lobes and lifter bottoms, then certainly the oil filter needs to be changed at 20 minutes. The moly-paste assembly lube can plug the filter in that time. I'd be reluctant to change the oil, however. Replace filter, top-off, and keep going.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hydraulic roller use a good assembly lube such as driven or lucas and your good to go. Flat tappet is a whole other can of worms. All the cam manufacturers have subbed out the cam cores and lifters to china. There is a guy on youtube and his site is Powell machine. He grinds his own cams and lifters. He has videos with microscopes looking at his lifters comparing them with the Chinese stuff. Pretty amazing difference.
The only reason to rum a flat tappet is because you race in a series that demands it. I build engines and won't bother with flat tappet ****. Not even worth the hassle. If the customer insists I'll do it but there is no warranty at all. I don't care what kind of oil or additives you use you have a 1 in 4 chance that it goes flat.

My two cents
BK

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hydraulic roller use a good assembly lube such as driven or lucas and your good to go. Flat tappet is a whole other can of worms. All the cam manufacturers have subbed out the cam cores and lifters to china. There is a guy on youtube and his site is Powell machine. He grinds his own cams and lifters. He has videos with microscopes looking at his lifters comparing them with the Chinese stuff. Pretty amazing difference.
The only reason to rum a flat tappet is because you race in a series that demands it. I build engines and won't bother with flat tappet ****. Not even worth the hassle. If the customer insists I'll do it but there is no warranty at all. I don't care what kind of oil or additives you use you have a 1 in 4 chance that it goes flat.

My two cents
BK
I have run the Delco hardened foot lifters on every flat tappet cam I have run for 2 decades and there have been a couple dozen, without a single failure.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have run the Delco hardened foot lifters on every flat tappet cam I have run for 2 decades and there have been a couple dozen, without a single failure.
I have a brand new in box Lunati voodoo cam (with lifters) laying around that I'm sorta afraid to put into use. Its supposed to go in the 327 in the Camaro... Where can I get a set of thoose Delco lifters? Partnumber?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new in box Lunati voodoo cam (with lifters) laying around that I'm sorta afraid to put into use. Its supposed to go in the 327 in the Camaro... Where can I get a set of thoose Delco lifters? Partnumber?
I'm running a voodoo cam and lifters in my Elcamino with about 10,000 miles on it now. The only issue I've had with the Lunati lifters is leakdown and ticking after sitting for about a week. They only tick a half dozen times till they pump back up.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Voodoo cam too - until it wiped out lifters 1st (after ~5000 miles), and then the cam itself
You must be registered for see images attach

Go roller or go home! :biggrin: