Cam break-in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is absolutely everything I will need to know about breaking in the new cam once i get it in my tahoe?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a flat tappet cam?

Start with a good break in oil and then follow the following tips:

1. Get the engine running and quickly set the timing.

2. Get the rpm up over 1500 rpm and keep it under 2500 rpm.

3. Never let the rpm stay at one rpm for any amount of time. Keep it fluctuating between 1500 and 2500.

4. Watch the coolant temperature and shut it down if it gets too hot.

This will allow the lifters to form a wear pattern spinning slowly on the cam lobes. Not doing a proper break in risks wiping out or wearing down the cam lobes and lifters.

Follow it up with an oil change.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the '99 Tahoe in your signature? If so you have the factory roller cam setup. Half of people say you can throw it in and run, the other half says you have to follow the full flat-tappet break in regimen. I'm in the middle. Put some fresh, non-synthetic oil in the engine and run it for five to ten minutes, making sure you have oil pressure and no serious leaks.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it the '99 Tahoe in your signature? If so you have the factory roller cam setup. Half of people say you can throw it in and run, the other half says you have to follow the full flat-tappet break in regimen. I'm in the middle. Put some fresh, non-synthetic oil in the engine and run it for five to ten minutes, making sure you have oil pressure and no serious leaks.
thanks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weak, stock valve springs?

GM didn't "break in" those cams, they didn't use special oil, and they didn't change oil at some ridiculous low time/mileage.

Add stiffer valve springs, and MAYBE things should vary from GM procedure.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weak, stock valve springs?

GM didn't "break in" those cams, they didn't use special oil, and they didn't change oil at some ridiculous low time/mileage.

Add stiffer valve springs, and MAYBE things should vary from GM procedure.
I take it break in is more for flat tappet cams then rather than roller

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a flat tappet cam?

Start with a good break in oil and then follow the following tips:

1. Get the engine running and quickly set the timing.

2. Get the rpm up over 1500 rpm and keep it under 2500 rpm.

3. Never let the rpm stay at one rpm for any amount of time. Keep it fluctuating between 1500 and 2500.

4. Watch the coolant temperature and shut it down if it gets too hot.

This will allow the lifters to form a wear pattern spinning slowly on the cam lobes. Not doing a proper break in risks wiping out or wearing down the cam lobes and lifters.

Follow it up with an oil change.
hydraulic roller just wondered if there’s any kind of procedure recommended for that

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright i’ll probably go with this as I like your in between approach to this

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it break in is more for flat tappet cams then rather than roller
Waaaay back in the day it didn't used to be. From what the old guys say, in the '60s they would drop a new flat tappet cam in and run it. The oil was thick enough that it wasn't a problem. As oils got more refined and engines started using lower viscosities, flat-tappet cam break-in started being an issue. Now it's to the point where even if you follow the strictest break-in procedure it's still a crapshoot breaking in a flat-tappet cam. Roller cams just work.