Cab corner problems and solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
I was working on my truck today and found out my drivers side cab corner is pretty rusted considering I pushed on it and dented it haha. Anyway I know I'll have to replace it but I'm curious as to how common this problem is with these trucks and what kind of ideas are out there to prevent it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
What ive seen was replace the cab corner. .. but dont put an inner cab corner.. leave the bottom open so the dirt can get out.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
That seems like a really good idea. I've sprayed wd40 in the small drain slit but it was just to far gone. It was my dad's truck that he bought brand new in 1991 and I'm doing the best I can to fix it up. Anyway I've also wondered why the rockers have the drain plug holes that are sealed up.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
That seems like a really good idea. I've sprayed wd40 in the small drain slit but it was just to far gone. It was my dad's truck that he bought brand new in 1991 and I'm doing the best I can to fix it up. Anyway I've also wondered why the rockers have the drain plug holes that are sealed up.

Your best bet if you want to spray an oil wouldn't be WD40 ... that doesn't have a thick enough oil... also it evaporates with time. Onces your done, if you want to seal the up with proper inner cab corner/inner rockers... You could just get a can of under coating and spray that... Or go see your local undercoating garage and get them to spray it. Most of those places will drill holes in body panels to be able to spray it. They will then plug it up with a plastic cover.

As far as sealed up drain holes, you got me!

97Rabbit

Reaction score
I heard they rust due to there being foam in the corners. The foam I guess holds the moisture... I'm going to do my cab corners and rockers this week... Should be loads of fun!! Not hahahaha

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
There's only foam in your corners if somebody filled them with great stuff as a cheap body filler

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Mine has some sort of foam in the top of the cab corner... kind of even with the floor inside the truck... My uncle had the truck since 96, had original paint back then... he said he doesn't remember anyone doing that. He thinks its stock that way

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There's only foam in your corners if somebody filled them with great stuff as a cheap body filler

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

This is not quite correct. The factory uses a 2 component expanding foam to seal the side of the floor to the cab corner in every truck I have cut apart.... which has been lots I can tell you. It is not a hard foam like used to seal around windows and doors in a home, rather it's a soft foam.