"Burblander" 1994 Suburban 5.7 K1500 - Resurrection Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
Cool back story, awesome bit of motivation as to why we prize these trucks that we do.

I've wanted to make my burb into a overland/camping rig, and this has kind of re-ignited the path of why I live where I live, and why I bought the vehicle I did. It's a family hauler, but I want it to be an off-road family hauler.

Exactly man. I'm in Tennessee. Lots of mountains. What type if overland mods do you want to do?

Last edited:

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
Nice Suburban! Welcome to GMT400. I like your plans. It would look great sitting on 6' lift and 35"s. Great starting point for a good build, keep this thread updated!

A small lift might be in order. Haha. I have a long way to go before that though. 6" and 35's seem like the way to go.

Last edited:

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
The water leak sure did a number on the interior, one of the worst I've seen yet. What exactly was the "Travel Package?"

My '98 was my dad's too so I know how it feels to be able to drive something that was his. I grew up in mine since he bought it when I was 12. Good luck, I look forward to updates.

Yea.. water leak must've been bad. One of the things I am going to do soon is replacing all the door and window seals. Any advice? Haha. Oh, I've was told from a service tech that it had the travel package since it has the ginormous gas tank. Might not be an official thing.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Scored some newer Silverado/ Avalanche rims from Craigslist! Not a necessity right now, but I always wanted a set of these for the Suburban.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Exactly man. I'm in Tennessee. Lots of mountains. What type if overland mods do you want to do?

I plan on upgrading to 35's, regearing to 4.56s or 4.88s. First coming a new motor, and rebuilt tranny. Then I'd like to do onboard air system, onboard 115v, a drawer system, roof rack, front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, winch, and aux lighting. Then I want to do a lift too, but I am thinking 6" might be too much to be practical for overlanding (top heavy?). If I could find super durable 3-4" lift, I'd prolly go that route.

That is the practical, will eventually happen list. Dream list could go a lot further i.e. Snorkel, onboard water-pumping system (like from a river), a roof mounted fold up sleep/tent system or trailer-tent system, beadlocks, front and rear electronic lockers, solid-axle swa... so many things.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
42 gallon tank was standard equipment.

Ahh. Good to know!

I plan on upgrading to 35's, regearing to 4.56s or 4.88s. First coming a new motor, and rebuilt tranny. Then I'd like to do onboard air system, onboard 115v, a drawer system, roof rack, front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, winch, and aux lighting. Then I want to do a lift too, but I am thinking 6" might be too much to be practical for overlanding (top heavy?). If I could find super durable 3-4" lift, I'd prolly go that route.

That is the practical, will eventually happen list. Dream list could go a lot further i.e. Snorkel, onboard water-pumping system (like from a river), a roof mounted fold up sleep/tent system or trailer-tent system, beadlocks, front and rear electronic lockers, solid-axle swa... so many things.

That sounds pretty identical man. Power system, bumpers, roof rack, sliders, winch, lights, 3" lift, 34's?, snorkel, etc. Adding a roof top tent would allow you to sleep 4, just from the vehicle (2 inside comfortably, and 2 up top comfortably). Then another tent or two if it is a big outing.

Have all the equipment you would need to spend a week or two off of the beaten path. :dogpile:

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
A very good day! A lot was accomplished. Well on our way of stripping out the interior.

All seats are out, center console is out, and seat belts are out. A lot of trim is out as well. Next is removing the rest of the interior trim panels, door panels, dash..?, headliner, and door trim. Then install new door trim, bedline the floor, clean interior panels, find and install new seats, and re-install headliner.