"Burblander" 1994 Suburban 5.7 K1500 - Resurrection Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
1994 Suburban K1500 - Resurrection and Overland Build

1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500
Silverado Package
287,000 miles - all original

You must be registered for see images attach

Hello! This is only my 5th post on here, but I've been researching a lot lately.

I'll try to keep things short :rofl:.. My dad bought this Suburban in 2002. We used this thing to go all over the place! We spent the summers camping each weekend when I was a kid. From road trips to Florida, or seeing family in Indiana. You get the idea. I actually drove this Suburban for my driving test. My dad used it for work in Law Enforcement. It was the perfect vehicle to get a family of 4 anywhere they wanted with confidence and reliability.

THE GOOD

After my dad passed in 2008, the Suburban took a turn for the worst. It had over 275,000 original miles at the time. The Suburban was rarely driven and honestly neglected. She sat for months at a time and developed a bad water leak. That resulted in a terrible mold problem that trashed the interior. I recently got the title and plan to do a major overhaul. Status report: Engine that smokes like it's going out of style (currently 287,*** miles), a paint job that only looks good on rat rods, and an interior that requires you to wear a mask.

THE BAD

Future plans? :gr_grin:

I know it looks bad.. but it will be done. It's obvious that getting another Suburban would be a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper). But this was my dad's truck. I think a lot of us remember our dad's truck. I want to drive this again, take my family on trips in it, and pass it down. First step is to get the Suburban back in working order. I want to bedline the floor. I want to restore the rest of the interior (mainly mold cleanup), replace the three rows of seats, replace door and window trim, replace engine, and repaint white.

Once that is all finished I want to create an "Overland" vehicle. The Suburban would be meant to be traveled across the land for days at a time while being self sustained, logging hundreds of miles down dirt roads and over mountains. This is essentially what we used it as. Mods include a drawer system in the back to store luggage and camping equipment, a bed platform in the rear, dual battery set-up, all-terrain tires, roof rack, etc. etc.

Thanks for reading! More posts to come!

Last edited:

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
This is a video I recorded starting the Suburban last year. This was after sitting for multiple months but with a fresh battery. It's sad, but I'm amazed how it still fired up. Hopefully I can squeeze a little bit more out of the engine.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Neat story for sure! Sad to see it in it's current state but should turn out nicely with some time put into it. Maybe put cloth seats in from a 95+ truck to ditch the leather. I actually wouldn't mind a Suburban for outdoors stuff like camping. But hey for the meantime I have my trucks :)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
This is hona be an awesome build. Please keep us updated. I love overland builds

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Cool back story, awesome bit of motivation as to why we prize these trucks that we do.

I've wanted to make my burb into a overland/camping rig, and this has kind of re-ignited the path of why I live where I live, and why I bought the vehicle I did. It's a family hauler, but I want it to be an off-road family hauler.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice Suburban! Welcome to GMT400. I like your plans. It would look great sitting on 6' lift and 35"s. Great starting point for a good build, keep this thread updated!

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
The water leak sure did a number on the interior, one of the worst I've seen yet. What exactly was the "Travel Package?"

My '98 was my dad's too so I know how it feels to be able to drive something that was his. I grew up in mine since he bought it when I was 12. Good luck, I look forward to updates.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
Neat story for sure! Sad to see it in it's current state but should turn out nicely with some time put into it. Maybe put cloth seats in from a 95+ truck to ditch the leather. I actually wouldn't mind a Suburban for outdoors stuff like camping. But hey for the meantime I have my trucks :)

Thanks man! Yea, I'm trying to find some seats. I'm keeping the third row seat, since it's in ok shape and sometimes hard to find. The seats are grey leather, but I'd be good with some nice cloth seats.

And I'm jealous of the 6.5. Haha

Last edited: