Building a 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454supersport

Reaction score
If your SS is a 91 and is still in stock form, you will have a 4L80E with overdrive. By all means, do not swap it for a 700r4! That would be a step backwards! I have a 90, and it came with a TH400 and 3.73 gears. The 91-93 trucks have the 4L80E, and 4.10s. I put a 700 behind mine for a little while way back when I was in school and it didn't last. My 400 is back in there now and it handles the power much better, as will the 4L80. If you haven't already, take a look at the forums at www.454ss.com for more specific ideas for the 454SS pickup. I'm TrevorH over there. The truck is a great platform, with a heavy duty tranny and 14 bolt rear to start. It'll get there with some $$$.

Jonesz0003

Reaction score
awesome thanks and yea i just got it and havent dug into it much and thought i just read that the had the 400 but if it has the 4L80 then i will def keep that. I will take a look over that that other forum, thanks for the help

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
700r4 to put behind it cause i love that tranny and it has overdrive for crusing.

Are you saying your truck does NOT have an overdrive right now?

Also, when the guys are saying upgrade your exhaust they mean all of it not just the mufflers. ie. Headers to bigger exhaust pipe, thru mufflers, x pipe, ect. and out.

BTW: if you dump it under the truck you will like it for about a week and then it will drive you nuts. A whole lota shakin going on!