Budget headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a handful of different headers for our trucks based on 4wd vs 2wd, etc. You're not likely to find the right headers in good shape used.

Shorties are better than stock manifolds and bolt right in place, but they're a performance compromise. Long tubes are the best performance-wise, but will require custom exhaust work. If you have a welder, you can build a full exhaust fairly cheap.

If you want the headers to look good and last long-term, you'll want ceramic coated. That adds $300 to the price. If you get "un-coated" headers, they come coated in cheap paint to prevent you from putting good header paint on them. You'll have to media blast them just to paint or coat them.
You don't have to media blast the shipping paint off. Build a big fire and throw 'em in. Wire brush and re-paint with VHT. If you heat cycle that VHT the way it says on the can it lasts a long time.

Headman long tubes best bang for the buck. Not as good as they were in the 80's but still good headers. Work best if you smooth the welds pipes are welded to the flanges and where the pipes come together in the collectors. Headman used to do that but well,,,,,,,,,!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just not picturing you sitting there in a $400 pair of American made Levi's and a $700 pair of American made Wesco or White's boots. I bet money your dwelling is full of Chinese crap like everyone else's.
Where else you gonna get it. Everybody over here thinks they're gonna get rich making youtube videos instead of making products.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where else you gonna get it. Everybody over here thinks they're gonna get rich making youtube videos instead of making products.
LOL, we were having that argument 30+ years ago when everyone had bumper stickers " Buy American, the job you save might be your own" Nobody listened. can't say I got American made Levi's, but I do own several pairs of American made boots.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we were having that argument 30+ years ago
Everybody thinks inflation is new and that we had thirty years of low inflation, but if you look at American made products, the inflation was there, we just kept finding cheaper and cheaper places to import from. Now all of the sudden we get tariffs and move production back to America and we're whining about the inflation? In ten years we'll start complaining about the quality of parts from India and the Chinese will be whining about all their jobs moving across their southern border.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everybody thinks inflation is new and that we had thirty years of low inflation, but if you look at American made products, the inflation was there, we just kept finding cheaper and cheaper places to import from. Now all of the sudden we get tariffs and move production back to America and we're whining about the inflation? In ten years we'll start complaining about the quality of parts from India and the Chinese will be whining about all their jobs moving across their southern border.
I'm not sure that much production has made it back to the states , except foreign owned interests. They are investing here. Factories, buying farms, and real estate. They also hold alot of notes on this thing we call the deficit. We don't need officials here aggravating theirs lest they dump the notes enmasse. Printing presses would be spinning the guts out of them and the dollar would go the way of the Deutschemark in '45.

The UAW might be crying the same sob story when the factories move out. Can't price yourself out of competition, and then complain when the venue changes. What's a 40% pay raise on $0.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UAW took pay cuts during the Bankruptcy Years. When things turned around, Big Business forgot to give them their raises; but all the big shots got theirs, and bonuses.

I don't blame the UAW for going on strike. I wish them well.

America needs an import tax to prevent outsourcing to foreign countries. END all "Trade Agreements", and make it illegal to have a trade deficit--we should buy no more from any country than they buy from us, so that our dollars don't migrate out-of-country.

Raw- and minimally-processed materials excepted (crude oil, minimally-processed aluminum, and other bottom-of-the-production-chain materials, especially if--like aluminum--the USA does not have abundant supplies.)

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The UAW took pay cuts during the Bankruptcy Years. When things turned around, Big Business forgot to give them their raises; but all the big shots got theirs, and bonuses.

America needs an import tax to prevent outsourcing to foreign countries. END all "Trade Agreements", and make it illegal to have a trade deficit--we should buy no more from any country than they buy from us, so that our dollars don't migrate out-of-country.

Raw- and minimally-processed materials excepted (crude oil, minimally-processed aluminum, and other bottom-of-the-production-chain materials, especially if--like aluminum--the USA does not have abundant supplies.)

We don't need an import tax, we need a domestic incentive. Plenty of good stuff comes from overseas and we shouldn't punish people for wanting a specific product just because it's made somewhere else. We should offer a tax cut towards domestic products as a way to both encourage and reward keeping the jobs here, as well as hopefully keeping domestic prices reasonable.

The government has enough of our money already, they are just throwing it away at this point.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We don't need an import tax, we need a domestic incentive. Plenty of good stuff comes from overseas and we shouldn't punish people for wanting a specific product just because it's made somewhere else. We should offer a tax cut towards domestic products as a way to both encourage and reward keeping the jobs here, as well as hopefully keeping domestic prices reasonable.

The government has enough of our money already, they are just throwing it away at this point.
You're going to start a riot with that one, people will be running around telling each other that millionaires that pay over a $100k a year in taxes aren't paying their fair share.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I wish them well too, but it's the long game that worries me with the Big 2 that remain.