Budget Build 1996 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I bought my 1996 1500 4x4 for 100$. It is a reg. cab short box and has a 5.0 V8 with a 5 speed. Brand new im sure it was a sweet truck, has some nice features, A/C, cruise, tilt, power seat, mirrors, leather. The truck is in rough shape, but still workable. I am keeping track of all expenses and hope to keep it under 1000$ minus tires.

I will add pictures of the original truck and more as I fix it up.
Is it possible to put video on here?

Reaction score
This is the truck when I first got it. Tailgate broken off, no exhaust except for the manifolds, no headlights, grille, turn signals, intake and air box missing, crack on one frame rail, broken back window, and I Love U carved into the paint on the other side.

Attachments

• New_truck.jpg
    New_truck.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 52
  • truck_full copy.jpg
    truck_full copy.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reaction score
The torsion bars were cranked all the way up until the keys hit the top of the crossmember. I snapped one of the bolts off lowering it back down. New bolt and torsion adjustment block.$24

Last edited:
Reaction score
For a new back window, I got a piece of 1/2 inch thick acrylic from the ice arena. I reused the existing 3 piece frame. A friend of mine cut the pieces and trimmed the edges with a router. I had to buy a tube of clear silicone for $3.50, so this part of the project didn't cost much money. This glass used to take shots from pucks all day, so that's why its not so clear

Attachments

• Truck Back Window.jpg
    Truck Back Window.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
I hit up the junkyard for some much needed parts. I picked up a grille, headlights, turn signals, tailgate hinges, and a few chunks of y-pipe. - $23 I got an intake and airbox for $20 from a truck that rolled over. I had to paint the blue door, it bothered me.

Attachments

• Truck Door.jpg
    Truck Door.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't mention rust, are you in a part of the country where it's an issue?

Frame crack?