Broken Ball Joint Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any info on my specific issue so...

I noticed quite a bit of play in the upper ball joints and decided to get the Moog UCAs since the bushings were also shot. After some dumb mistakes I finished the driver side and moved onto the passenger side. I got the pickle fork in there and separated the UCA from the spindle. Success...or so I thought. Turns out, the ball joint broke leaving the post in the spindle.

What are my options? I'm trying to avoid having to break the bottom loose so if anything is able to be done sans taking more stuff apart I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

Jcauli82

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any info on my specific issue so...

I noticed quite a bit of play in the upper ball joints and decided to get the Moog UCAs since the bushings were also shot. After some dumb mistakes I finished the driver side and moved onto the passenger side. I got the pickle fork in there and separated the UCA from the spindle. Success...or so I thought. Turns out, the ball joint broke leaving the post in the spindle.

What are my options? I'm trying to avoid having to break the bottom loose so if anything is able to be done sans taking more stuff apart I'd be thrilled to hear about it.
I had that happen to me last winter and it sucked balls....I tried for 4 days in some 15 degree weather to get that broken ball joint shaft out of the knuckle tried heating it and beating on it and grinding on it but it was so stuck and the weather was so cold that heating it up was just making it easier to fuse to the knuckle it seemed like.... So, long story short, just went and got a used knuckle from the junkyard .....so just be careful if your not indoors trying to pound it out.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just beat on the spindle on the side where the broken piece goes in to it. 99% of the time it'll pop out. That's how I 100% of the time get all the ball joints out of any vehicle I've worked on at the shop. I haven't used a separator in years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don’t you just use a ball joint puller instead of beating it with a hammer.
Most auto parts stores have tool rental.
If your talking about me... I'm not talking about hitting the whole ball joint out of where it seats into the arm, if they are pressing ball joints and not bolt in. I'm talking about where the tapered part of the ball joint goes into the spindle. It's the same principle as hitting the sides of a socket if you get a lug nut stuck inside. The shock and vibration knocks it loose. Very simple and easy method. I worked in a shop for many years, as the lead mechanic, and that is the way I always separated the balljoints from the taper seat in the spindle on every vehicle. And yes I own a full ball joint press set to remove ball joints from where the base of thier body is pressed in. But what I commented on was just getting the tapered part that has the nut on it out of its seat. I hope that made sense as I can get long winded at times.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I agree with magimerlin. Whack the spindle in the side near the hole with a big ass hammer. It'll practically fall out after a hit or two. Works every time

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your talking about me... I'm not talking about hitting the whole ball joint out of where it seats into the arm, if they are pressing ball joints and not bolt in. I'm talking about where the tapered part of the ball joint goes into the spindle. It's the same principle as hitting the sides of a socket if you get a lug nut stuck inside. The shock and vibration knocks it loose. Very simple and easy method. I worked in a shop for many years, as the lead mechanic, and that is the way I always separated the balljoints from the taper seat in the spindle on every vehicle. And yes I own a full ball joint press set to remove ball joints from where the base of thier body is pressed in. But what I commented on was just getting the tapered part that has the nut on it out of its seat. I hope that made sense as I can get long winded at times.

No I understand what happened. The tapered section of the ball joint got stuck in the spindle knuckle pivot point/hole when it broke away from the lower mount section. I just don’t like hitting anything with a hammer if I can use a proper tool to remove it. I mean why caveman the repair especially when you have the proper removal tool. I have done the hit the side to seoarate ball joint but it was only in a side of the road type repair. And that method works well because there is pressure from the suspension. And a ball joint removal tool will remove that tip section as will a press. I have a full shop at home 8ncluding a 14,000 pound 4 post lift with 7,000 pound air hacks. I may not be a master mechanic but I play one on TV.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never been able to get the whole hit the side of the knuckle trick to work. Usually it's the lower ball joint that's giving me troubles. The manual says not to hit the knuckle and I've pounded on mine so much that you can see hammer marks... all for nothing. I always end up using a pickle fork, which isn't easy on the lower ball joint. Maybe it would work if I did the lower joint first, and then the upper.