Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Eh, like termite says, there are accidents. I totally get that we're going after parts that end up breaking during removal.. I (and others) were speaking specifically about people that wreck stuff out of outright carelessness or even worse, apparent malice for whatever unknown reason (the screwdriver guys punching radiators for example.)

Self-service yards will probably exist as long as insurance companies will underwrite them; the business model seems to persist. So it stands to reason that dummies messing up parts will be around, too...

My little spot was full service. Not only did I not want anybody messing up parts, I also didn't want them messing up themselves. I tried like crazy to preserve anything that was possibly worth using, even if it was some simple little item that wouldn't sell for much. Those kinds of things often got thrown in as freebies.. much like "pocket items" at the self-serve yard.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, like termite says, there are accidents. I totally get that we're going after parts that end up breaking during removal.. I (and others) were speaking specifically about people that wreck stuff out of outright carelessness or even worse, apparent malice for whatever unknown reason (the screwdriver guys punching radiators for example.)

Self-service yards will probably exist as long as insurance companies will underwrite them; the business model seems to persist. So it stands to reason that dummies messing up parts will be around, too...

My little spot was full service. Not only did I not want anybody messing up parts, I also didn't want them messing up themselves. I tried like crazy to preserve anything that was possibly worth using, even if it was some simple little item that wouldn't sell for much. Those kinds of things often got thrown in as freebies.. much like "pocket items" at the self-serve yard.

Richard
You gonna ever get back into that business?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OKC Pull-A-Part isn't part of the national chain. If I get a small pile of fuses, I show them and they usually don't even care to charge me. If they do, it's usually $1. It's not worth it to me to try and sneak them.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
..My little spot was full service.. ..I tried like crazy to preserve anything that was possibly worth using, even if it was some simple little item that wouldn't sell for much. Those kinds of things often got thrown in as freebies.. much like "pocket items" at the self-serve yard.

Richard

That's mighty generous of you. Twenty years ago I remember that happening all the time. Then it's as if the rejects from Wal-Mart or AutoZone got hired into these places and so they charge for everything. Also have to pay attention the receipt- they've tried to swindle me before by ringing up my items incorrectly.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You gonna ever get back into that business?
I'd like to.. I sure miss it. But, finding the exact right set of circumstances is difficult. To find suitably sized shop space, sufficient land for inventory, livable office area, bathroom w/shower, and in the county (outside city limits) to avoid onerous regulations (especially living in a commercial building which the city has a big problem with) ... for an affordable amount? That place I had was old and beat-up but it checked all those boxes and it was pure luck that I found it.

Then we add to it that the price on 400's has gone up considerably, with less of them available as "parts" quality vehicles vs. worthwhile projects for someone to fix up.. that puts a dent in being able to acquire inventory at reasonable prices. Not sure I want to do this same gig with 800's or any other trucks, just not nearly as passionate about them. I thought about it for the Mopar fullsize cars 2005-up but that's a whole different level of commitment for various reasons.

That's mighty generous of you. Twenty years ago I remember that happening all the time. Then it's as if the rejects from Wal-Mart or AutoZone got hired into these places and so they charge for everything. Also have to pay attention the receipt- they've tried to swindle me before by ringing up my items incorrectly.
The perks of being the boss at a one-man operation. I call all the shots. While profit margin is very slim and critically important, some little items aren't worth worrying about. I also handed out bumper stickers and told people next time they showed up if the sticker was on their truck they'd get 10% off any future purchases.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to.. I sure miss it. But, finding the exact right set of circumstances is difficult. To find suitably sized shop space, sufficient land for inventory, livable office area, bathroom w/shower, and in the county (outside city limits) to avoid onerous regulations (especially living in a commercial building which the city has a big problem with) ... for an affordable amount? That place I had was old and beat-up but it checked all those boxes and it was pure luck that I found it.

Then we add to it that the price on 400's has gone up considerably, with less of them available as "parts" quality vehicles vs. worthwhile projects for someone to fix up.. that puts a dent in being able to acquire inventory at reasonable prices. Not sure I want to do this same gig with 800's or any other trucks, just not nearly as passionate about them. I thought about it for the Mopar fullsize cars 2005-up but that's a whole different level of commitment for various reasons.

Richard
Yeah, all that makes sense. Sure would be useful if we had a person we trusted in the used parts biz.
In other words:
You must be registered for see images attach

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My other take on this subject.
Everytime you make a mess somebody has to clean it up.
Every part you destroy is a part the yard cant sell.
And that comes out of profits.
Up here in the PNW wrecking yards are disappearing at a rapid rate.
Not only because Washington State hates us car driving peasants and is litigating the yards out of business,
But also because a wrecking yard is a massive chunk of land that becomes so valuable that the pressure from the state makes them have to sell out to the developers in order to keep themselves from going bankrupt from attorney fees.
This is the same thing that they are doing to gun shops and boat yards.
If you really need a lesson in junkyard respect go to the yard with a mechanic from Mexico.
Those guys take what they need and everything they dont need goes back into the car.
They never leave it in the mud.
If they go ten rows over and find a better part?
They will take that first part back to the car they pulled it from and put it back inside.
There is a saying in Mexico that basically translates to english as
"Today is for Me,
Tomorrow is for you"
"Passing it on" is a recent concept in the US.
In Mexico its just a normal part of life.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep. The girls in the office that ring you up at LKQ don't really know that much about cars, so I find myself explaining what things are often. And then there's some things they just don't have a code for anymore, like sealed beam headlights. I think the last set of quad beams I got, they charged out as "fog lights", then she only charged me for two instead of four, so I had to go back to her window when the gate guy caught it. Last week they only charged me for two door switches instead of the three I had, but the gate guy this time, didn't notice. Usually at the U Pull And Pay, if I was getting a couple of big items, they'd barely charge anything for whatever else I had. They are a lot more low key on that than the LKQs are, but I haven't been able to get there in several months. So it may be different now....