Brakes Suck When Wet/Raining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Yaz

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with subpar brake performance when it’s wet/raining out? I’ve googled and searched around the forums a bit with no such luck in correcting it or much information about it.

Perhaps the rotors get coated with a layer of water that doesn’t let the pads fully clamp down and stop you until the water coating is smoothed off?

Truck is lowered, I believe to be a 4/6 drop but I’m unsure as I bought it already lowered. I don’t believe that would affect the braking any but I’ve noticed too with the front wheels off that my left and right caliper look different from one another and after taking my truck to a shop to get the front tires replaced, my wheels (15x7 Boyd Coddington Lotus) the left wheel will only go on the left and the right on the right otherwise the outer edge of the caliper will grind on the inner rim off the wheel if switched.

I’ll find myself having to brake earlier than I would had it be dry out. It’s very noticeable occasionally if it’s been raining out and I go to first brake after backing out of my driveway or leaving work, seems like the wheels has to do a complete revolution before my truck makes any effort in slowing.

Anything I can do to fix this? I’m about due for new brakes anyway.

Thanks in advance.

1994 Chevrolet C1500 RCSB 4.3 TBI 4L60E

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brake pads are on there now? Ceramic? I had ceramic pads on my '88 K1500, and hated them. They had poor stopping power wet-or-dry.

There was a time when Japanese motorcycles had horrible braking if the rotors got wet. The pads weren't designed to be effective on water-coated rotors.

First Guess: Changing pads fixes the problem. I would use a Made-In-USA pad and NOT something from China or India.

I've been getting my pads from Performance Friction (Carbon Metallic.) Prices are not horrible. So far, so good.

Be sure the rear brakes work properly and are adjusted right. The leading/trailing shoe design sucks.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. When my brakes get wet, they tend to stick a little the first few times I use them. After I hit the brakes a couple times, they seem to dry off and work like normal.

T-Yaz

Reaction score
What brake pads are on there now? Ceramic? I had ceramic pads on my '88 K1500, and hated them. They had poor stopping power wet-or-dry.

There was a time when Japanese motorcycles had horrible braking if the rotors got wet. The pads weren't designed to be effective on water-coated rotors.

First Guess: Changing pads fixes the problem. I would use a Made-In-USA pad and NOT something from China or India.

I've been getting my pads from Performance Friction (Carbon Metallic.) Prices are not horrible. So far, so good.

Be sure the rear brakes work properly and are adjusted right. The leading/trailing shoe design sucks.

Not sure what ones are on it now, but if I had to guess, they’re probably the ceramic ones. They were freshly replaced when I got my truck like 2 years ago and 40k miles ago.

Rear brakes are about shot too, they’ll howl when I back out of the steep end of my driveway if it’s wet out. My truck will pull to the right a bit too when it comes to heavier than average braking.

After I get my tie rods replaced I’m going to change all four brakes. Thanks for the input.

T-Yaz

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. When my brakes get wet, they tend to stick a little the first few times I use them. After I hit the brakes a couple times, they seem to dry off and work like normal.

Mine get like this sometimes too backing out of my driveway. Usually in the mornings with morning dew or after it’s rained awhile.

StevensWMR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I drive in the rain my brakes lock up at slow speeds like parking lots or pulling out of gas stations. What’s with that? I can barely press the brake to stop before I leave a store and it’ll grind or vibrate or something and lock up instantly. Only when it’s raining. Brand new pads, rotors, and hub assemblies.