brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so from what i read i think my rotors are warped. My car shakes really bad when i brake. My question is how good are autozone/oreily rotors and pads and how simple are they to change what parts and tools needed or should i just pay some guy 30 to do it for me?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the time (approx 1 hour) you can do it yourself. I myself have pads and rotors from O'reillys and they seem to work just fine. The only tools you will need is, a lug wrench to get your tire off, a 3/8th inch hex head ( I think) and a C-clamp.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^ X2, this is the easiest maintenance to do on a vehicle. Pads and rotors, even if it is your first time, youll be done and driving in way under 2 hours man. Besides, this is something every guy should know to do to his truck.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about brake cleaner and some lubes i read about ? and bad shaking is warped rotors right?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake cleaner is used to get the protective oil off of the rotors before you install them. I forgot to mention that.

And yes bad shaking and pulsing brake pedal is usually warped rotors.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and make sure the slides can slide. Wouldnt hurt to put a little grease on them while you have them out

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, make sure when you use the c-clamp to push the piston back in it is not hard to push in or leaking. Brake cleaner, clean the new disks and at the end of the job spray the disk again to make sure to get all of your greasy fingerprints off.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool thanks for the info will let you guys know how it goes

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Pop the reservoir cap before you press the pistons back in. Most people use one of the old pads to place on the piston while pushing it in to prevent damage. Use decent pads, el cheapos are cheap for a reason. I use Duralast Gold, been awesome for me. And depending on how bad your rotors are, you might be able to just have them turned.

What they didn't mention is if you have a 2wd truck you are going to have to remove the wheel nut, washers and bearings to replace the rotors. This requires you to re-pack the bearing and I would also replace the races. Many places can turn the rotors while on the truck so you don't have to do all that. If you do have to remove the rotor then you will need to set the wheel nut properly. After the nut is set and the rotor is in place you will need to insert the cotter pin back in the spindle to retain the nut. Hope that helps a little.