Bolt on helper springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it is not ideal to use bolt on helper springs but I was wondering if anyone has used them with success. I have a 97 ECSB 4WD with a sagging rear end. It is winter, cold and snowing most of the time so I was looking for something cheaper to take the sag out until I can attack the leaf springs in the spring.

Local parts store can get cheaper bolt on spring helper kits. I have tried searching and just cant find much info on them. Someone has to buying these things and either like them or hate them enough to have an opinion.

What do you guys have to say about bolt on kits? My plan is to bolt on a cheap kit for the winter and then either replace the springs or add a leaf in the spring when it is warm enough to crawl around in the driveway.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I don't think a helper kit is going to provide much, depending on how much it's sagging. If you do towing, it might help a little, but if it's just for ride height reasons, I'd recommend saving your money and fix it right when spring comes. Good luck!

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might want to just hold off until spring. It might be easier just to fiddle with the rear Springs once when it's warm out. Im putting on new leaf springs this summer also due to my driver side sagging.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those helper springs wont restore ride height. They only help once your loaded up.

AAL, or better yet swapping out for a 5 pack 3/4 ton spring set is the way to go.

I got a set of used 5 pack leafs from my local wreckers, $100 for the pair.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update those that might give a crap. I bought an add a leaf kit from SDtrucksprings and got it installed today. I had a friend who has a heated garage so we did it today.

When they say the add leaf will add 2in of lift they are not lying! Took care of the sag and then some.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those helper springs wont restore ride height. They only help once your loaded up.

AAL, or better yet swapping out for a 5 pack 3/4 ton spring set is the way to go.

I got a set of used 5 pack leafs from my local wreckers, $100 for the pair.
For others reading, this is usually the best way to go to bring up the rear on a sagging 1/2 ton. The 5 leaf 3/4 ton pack is from the light duty 3/4 ton (6 lug wheels instead of 8 lug) and will level the truck back up and give you a little bit more carrying capacity, without giving you a harsh ride or a rake.

$100 for a pair of good ones is a pretty typical price; that's also what I used to sell them for when I had the yard. Just watch out for cracked leafs when buying used springs!

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an AAL listed in the classifieds that would have worked good for you too...

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The aal will end up sagging sooner or later that two inch lift will settle

Just like all perky things that end up sagging