body swap thread. gmt400 on gmt800 chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
that is the opposite of what id like to do sir.... new frame motor suspension under gmt400 cab and box...

and as far as the other negative guys, do any of you realize i either try this or send my truck to the junkyard??? i have a small hole in my frame from new york salt.... frame patching is out of the question in new york... im not gonna body swap onto another gmt400 frame and such because for the price of locating that chassis and doing that i could just scrap my gmt400 and buy another gmt400

Right, because it'd be cheaper to put it onto a 800 frame... So ignorant.

~Via Mobile \,,/

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
main gain is its a better chance at finding a newer frame up north in good condition than an older one, after that, the gmt800 chassis is way more rugged and the brakes are 4 wheel disc... to convert a gmt400 over to everything the 800s have would probably cost more not gonna lie and then youd have to deal with the frame not being as rugged...

An 800 chassis isn't anymore rugged then a 400, and the suspension geometry is practically the same, so ride quality isn't any different.

As far as 4 wheel disks, disks only have two advantages over drums, easier maintenance, and they cool better, beside that, most drums work better in a truck situation being that disk brakes naturally create drag.

This is why the brand new GM trucks have drums in the rear, not to mention I'd like for you to show me a big rig with disks since they're so much better.

~Via Mobile \,,/

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
I think you would be better off getting a gmt 800 hd with one of those silly motors that dosent have spark plugs and puts out 6-700 ft lbs. put you gmt 400 body on that. get a proper retrofit harness made (trust me its worth it).

Some things to keep in mind though:
The front rad supports will need some serious fab work
For the box, Just buy side panels and you can cut the wheel openings where needed.
Gas Tank Position.
Shift Linkage
Steering Adapter
Firewall Clearance

The actual mounting of the body to the frame is the easy part.

I'm very interested in this though

ps. put a 6.6 in it :)

one of those gmt800 frames with that motor without the sparkplugs would cost well over twice as much as just a 6.0 or 5.3.... i love that idea but thats def outa the pocket range...

whatll need to be done to the radiator supports? you mean to adapt my grill and headlights etc?

steering can be adressed with some of my shop resources and a welder

shift linkage im sure i can machine something up for

firewall clearance hopefully wont be a problem since they use to stick 454s in this style.... hopefully...

and whats different about the gas tank position?

Last edited:

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
An 800 chassis isn't anymore rugged then a 400, and the suspension geometry is practically the same, so ride quality isn't any different.

As far as 4 wheel disks, disks only have two advantages over drums, easier maintenance, and they cool better, beside that, most drums work better in a truck situation being that disk brakes naturally create drag.

This is why the brand new GM trucks have drums in the rear, not to mention I'd like for you to show me a big rig with disks since they're so much better.

~Via Mobile \,,/

actually the 2014s have 4 wheel disk brakes

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score

~Via Mobile \,,/

thats good for the new Gm trucks. if i could afford one id buy one.

im sorry to argue with you but ive watched a 2500hd single cab long box take a gmt400 2500 extended cab long box backwards and all over the place. the 6.0 in that chassis was an uncomparable matchup to the gmt400... so if the chassis isnt more rigid, how the hell did that workout? must be that nearly identical suspension then....

as much as you want to argue with me, youre not the one doing it and my question wasnt for you to give your opinion, its to address how to go about doing it. so unless you have some constructive ideas, id like it if you'd back off on the sarcasm and negative comments. thanks

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats good for the new Gm trucks. if i could afford one id buy one.

im sorry to argue with you but ive watched a 2500hd single cab long box take a gmt400 2500 extended cab long box backwards and all over the place. the 6.0 in that chassis was an uncomparable matchup to the gmt400... so if the chassis isnt more rigid, how the hell did that workout? must be that nearly identical suspension then....

as much as you want to argue with me, youre not the one doing it and my question wasnt for you to give your opinion, its to address how to go about doing it. so unless you have some constructive ideas, id like it if you'd back off on the sarcasm and negative comments. thanks

What does a better combination of power, gearing, and traction have to do with chassis strength?

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Mmmmmmk where do I start lol. I like it. Maybe a royal PITA but all in all its not my problem hahaha. I say give her hell. First I would go find a body guy you know some one that works at a budy shop. My brother and my cousin are both body techs at the local chevy dealer. My brother told me that my gmt400 frame is way better than the newer gmt800 frame. Yes I was also in shock. But how do you tell a certified frame tech that he is lying lol. He told me he has straightened 1 gmt400 frame and the rest either werent bent or the truck was totaled. The newer frames dont get put on the frame machine they just get replaced lol they are made of a softer steel so that they absorb impact better. Or so I'm told. With that said I still like the idea just wanted to throw that in there.

So horns just came in throwin punches lol. For Shame why you gotta be a Debbie downer? Lol.
I would most certainly do a 2500 frame because if your going to do it get all the upgrades you can at one time.

As far as disc's go umm well the newer semi's are getting air actuated front discs, supposed to work real nice.

What other fun stuff do we have to talk about. Why not look into a gmt900???
That would be awesome. I have no idea how you are going to make that gauge cluster function. Subscribed so that I can await pics of the insanity.
Good luck sir.

CrewCab Steve

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I would not.

Better to buy a plane ticket to a rust free area, buy a "rust free" truck, drive it back and then scrap your rusted frame truck.

I had an east coast truck and moved out west for a few years. I planned to swap bodies and whatnot while I was out there to resurrect my old rust bucket. Once I saw what I could buy for less than it world cost in work and parts I said a sincere goodby to my rust bucket and sent it to the crusher.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are Also missing the fact that He wants to build a pre-runner style truck too i think Which the GMT800 has more suspension parts available for