body swap thread. gmt400 on gmt800 chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
exactly what it says. anyone do this or know anyone who has done this? what would i be looking into to pull it off? found out my frame has a bit of spray foam in it that someone used to hide how bad it was. i like the lsx motors and figured the lsx truck are probably better except they dont look as nice as the gmt400s do

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Sounds like one hell of a swap. Lots of time an money lol

Sent from my ragged out Z71

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Gonna be alot of time and money to swap the body over also, your still gonna be lookin at the exact same issues aside from motor mounts

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Gonna be alot of time and money to swap the body over also, your still gonna be lookin at the exact same issues aside from motor mounts

what kind of issues will i run into swapping the cab, box, fenders and such? i want gmt800 but dont like the way they look. love my gmt400 style and interior. im thinking i just need to find a way to run gmt800 gages in my dash so i dont need to play with the harness.... otherwise i should be good right? the wheel base is only 1 1/2" longer than my gmt400.... i was gonna fix that by cutting a section of the box sides out 3/4" longer on one side of wheel well and swapping sides to bring wheel well onto center with the tire....

if im missing something let me know whats up. of course i do know ill have to located all firewall components onto gmt400 firewall but that shouldnt be too difficult.

most expensive thing i believe is finding the running truck to to it to....

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Unless you are an accomplished fabricator that has access to a good welder, plasma cutter, press brake, large drill press, possibly an 'ironworker' I wouldn't even attempt a body swap. Then you have other issues to deal with - steering column, parking brake cables, brake booster / MC issues, etc.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
For the cost of modifing a 800 frame and the purchase of said rolling chassis... you could by a new truck find a obs frame and swap

Adam

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Unless you are an accomplished fabricator that has access to a good welder, plasma cutter, press brake, large drill press, possibly an 'ironworker' I wouldn't even attempt a body swap. Then you have other issues to deal with - steering column, parking brake cables, brake booster / MC issues, etc.

nah im just a cnc machinest. i think thatll do. i dont see how any of that should be difficult or even intimidating.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
For the cost of modifing a 800 frame and the purchase of said rolling chassis... you could by a new truck find a obs frame and swap

Adam

that is the opposite of what id like to do sir.... new frame motor suspension under gmt400 cab and box...

and as far as the other negative guys, do any of you realize i either try this or send my truck to the junkyard??? i have a small hole in my frame from new york salt.... frame patching is out of the question in new york... im not gonna body swap onto another gmt400 frame and such because for the price of locating that chassis and doing that i could just scrap my gmt400 and buy another gmt400

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a bare 800 extended cab frame in my shop right now, I will go take a few rough measurements against my 400 extended cab frame. Just a word of caution, IMHO the 800 frames are more rust prone then the 400 frames. I will get back to you later today.