Body molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So after painting my truck in 2013, the body molding was and is still in good shape, but the chrome stripe on top is starting to peal. So I was thinking about striping it down and repainting the chrome, red. Like the SS trucks had. What do you guys think. Will this look good with my strips ? and should I paint the bow tie on the grill black or red ? I also am thinking about getting a set of SS 350 stickers for the bed. Black 350 with red SS
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I'd keep the molding stripe chrome on your truck if I were you. I like the chrome with the white. Same with the bowtie, the factory gold looks good to me with the white.

LMC still has the molding I believe. I need to replace it on my Suburban as well someday. My clear coat over the chrome is starting to peel too.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I agree on keeping the trim, it just seems like there's so much open space when it's removed,

Personally I'd keep the molding stripe chrome on your truck if I were you. I like the chrome with the white. Same with the bowtie, the factory gold looks good to me with the white.

LMC still has the molding I believe. I need to replace it on my Suburban as well someday. My clear coat over the chrome is starting to peel too.

How are you going to go about re-attaching badges when you do it? I don't think the LMC truck stripping has the slots for the side badges;

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree on keeping the trim, it just seems like there's so much open space when it's removed,

How are you going to go about re-attaching badges when you do it? I don't think the LMC truck stripping has the slots for the side badges;

Easy, let the body shop deal with it. :lol:

Seriously though I'm sure some black epoxy and a little trimming would fix that right up.

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
I would leave the side molding how it is. If anything, just replace it with new moldings. I wouldn't remove it or paint it if that were my truck.

As far as the bowtie, it looks good how it is but I would probably get the SS/Sport bowtie (black w/ red outline). Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it. I usually don't like it when they are painted one solid color.

I probably wouldn't put decals on the side of the bed. What does the truck look like from the rear?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would leave the side molding how it is. If anything, just replace it with new moldings. I wouldn't remove it or paint it if that were my truck.

As far as the bowtie, it looks good how it is but I would probably get the SS/Sport bowtie (black w/ red outline). Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it. I usually don't like it when they are painted one solid color.

I probably wouldn't put decals on the side of the bed. What does the truck look like from the rear?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
like this. Close to OE.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
here is the issue. I didn't pay a lot for my paint job, so they just taped over the moldings, all of them, so I dont want to remove them to replace them, if I can help it.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I would try to remove the chrome from the molding and paint the bow tie and 1500 red. Personally I wouldn’t put on the 350ss marking.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
like this, but I want the 350 in black