Body lift or AAL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryd1976

Reaction score
So, I know this topic has been discussed many different ways but I may have a different twist. I became the owner of a bone stock 97 K1500 about 6 weeks ago. Immediately I knew it needed some lift. But since I use the truck mostly as a work truck on my property I didn't want to get carried away so I opted for the Rough Country 2.5/3" suspension with blocks. Now that I have it installed and added a set of SSR's in 285/75/16, I realize it just isn't enough...so on to my question. I've talked back and forth with some Rough Country guys and have come up with two different options. 1) adding a set of AAL's and cranking the bars up or 2) adding a 2" body lift. Looking for thoughts or opinions...other than the oh so common "get a 6" kit". Thanks in advance guys...

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
most people will tell you the rc kit is a waste of money i dont think youll get enought crank with your front end with that kit to level with a add a leaf personaly i would say go with a 4 inch rcx and leave it decranked a member on here bluex has his truck set at that with 305 70 17s and it looks just right but if money is a issue just go small body lift

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it is a waste of money and I don't see you getting more lift from cranking it up more, that's how it's lifts the front to start with is lift.
adda leafs help the back but aint much to help the front.

I would have just went body lift and saved the coin on the extremelly high rc 2-3. I can clear 285's stock just cranked my factory saggy bars some.

Reaction score
I'd go with the body lift and clean it up with gap guards. I have a buddy running your 2-3 with a 3 in body and it looks good.

1996 Chevrolet Silverado 6.5" DC ST 1, 35" MT mud terrains, 17" MT Sidebiters, BB tune, AEM Brute Force intake, true duels.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you already bought the 2.5/3 inch lift from them, there's not much point in spending money on another suspension lift. For what you use the truck for, put a 2 or 3 inch body lift on it and call it a day...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Ive got 285/75r16s on my yukon at stock height, are you trying to lift it more so you can get bigger tires or is there other reasons

DISTURBINGTHEPEACE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's right I know somebody with a 93 Gmc K1500 with the rcx 2-3 with a 3 inch body lift it put it at about 5 1/2" and he's running Toyo open country 35 13.50 15's

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
On my 96 i had it cranked and blocks with 3" bl on 35s however to me the 2-3" lift is pointless cause its doing the same thing you get from cranking

jerryd1976

Reaction score
Well, I thought by adding the 2/3 RCX I would gain lift without sacrificing ride quality over just cranking. However, what I have found is that it's basically the same thing just that Rough Country added the diff drop to minimize axle angle and the control arms to help suspension geometry. What is doesn't do anything about is steering geometry. So what I am contemplating is bagging the 2/3 and going to a 4 or 6.

One other question, has anyone had experience with swapping 2500 torsion bars into a 1500 as well as the rear leafs. I read somewhere on a forum (and its just that...I read), because the 2500 bars are indexed differently than 1500 bars, when you crank them they aren't as harsh of a ride. Not to mention the 2500 rear leafs give a tad extra lift...Any truth to this???