Blown oil cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The other thing you could do is take the old line to a hydraulic shop. They can make you up custom lines on the spot with any end you need on them.

Braided or fabric covered.

You'll never have to worry about those lines blowing off and wiping out the bottom end again. Either the swage or those stupid one way clips.

The bottom end goes away in seconds when those lines blow....

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing you could do is take the old line to a hydraulic shop. They can make you up custom lines on the spot with any end you need on them.

Braided or fabric covered.

You'll never have to worry about those lines blowing off and wiping out the bottom end again. Either the swage or those stupid one way clips.

The bottom end goes away in seconds when those lines blow....

Are these a common failure?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Are these a common failure?

On the diesel trucks they are. Oil pressure loss on the 6.5 bottom end is almost always instantly catastrophic. Usually a crank replacement if you're lucky, complete rotating assembly if you're not. The cranks are induction hardened so they can't be undersized with any reliability. Anything deeper than being able to clean up with a light polish is trash. If there's a seize it usually snaps the crankshaft (nodular iron and OEM castings are porous) and/or takes out the main webs. The diesels in these trucks are a bit of a "special case" though. Doesn't take much to turn into a catastrophic failure when things go wrong. That's why I do a "crawl all over it" visual inspection on mine once a month or so to make sure everything is "tickity boo" on this problem child of the diesel world. Replacing the engine is an experience/expense I'd care not to repeat anything soon. My truck works great and is reliable, but you gotta watch it like a hawk and fix the little things before they become big things....and there's always some little thing going wrong with it.....:mad:

Gassers seem to turn up with the problem with more regularity than what I would feel comfortable with....bare minimum I would suggest is a regular visual inspection and if found to be leaking, immediate replacement. Oil pressure goes to "0" instantly when the lines pop.

These damned lines are designed to be cheap to build, quick to install on the production line and last the warranty period. I'd keep an eye on the OEM lines myself.

I'm usually a big proponent of OEM parts, but not in this case. Just too sketchy. Throw in the fact that they're all being built by aftermarket suppliers by now and I wouldn't trust 'em.....

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you think its a pretty good chance the bottom end of my engine is shot now? Even tho it didn't make any strange sounds when this happened till the time I shut it off, by the looks of it I lost all the oil I'd say, didn't bother checking the dipstick

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So you think its a pretty good chance the bottom end of my engine is shot now? Even tho it didn't make any strange sounds when this happened till the time I shut it off, by the looks of it I lost all the oil I'd say, didn't bother checking the dipstick

Dunno. Depends on how long it went without oil pressure and what you were doing when it went.

Only way to know is to fix it, fill it and cross your fingers......

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno. Depends on how long it went without oil pressure and what you were doing when it went.

Only way to know is to fix it, fill it and cross your fingers......

It wasn't that long but like you said it can only take a few seconds, fired it up backed it up noticed it was leaving a trail didn't think too much of it cause it had rained (looking back now I should have) and by the time I got halfway down the driveway noticed the trail followed me so turned it off popped the hood and was like f*ck, ill findout soon enough got them crossed

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It wasn't that long but like you said it can only take a few seconds, fired it up backed it up noticed it was leaving a trail didn't think too much of it cause it had rained (looking back now I should have) and by the time I got halfway down the driveway noticed the trail followed me so turned it off popped the hood and was like f*ck, ill findout soon enough got them crossed

If you were only backing down the driveway, your chances of it being good are excellent.

Had you been traveling at highways speed I would have been:

You must be registered for see images attach

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 6.5 diesels are gutless junk anyway, weak blocks and weak hp/tq. they are a completely different animal than a gas engine, there is no comparison. the oil lines are the same gas or diesel, crap. your engine should be fine, you weren't under load when it failed, fix the lines and go on with life. the factory oil cooler in the trans does a marginal job of being efective anyway, just plug the block and be done with it, your not going to get any more life out of your engine with it.