Bilstien B6-4600 on a tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When compared to an old worn out set of shocks, ANY new set will feel stiff at first.
Give 'em a few weeks...

I think this is the ticket right here. If I'm remembering it correctly, the 4600s are the blue/yellow ones that came stock on the Z71s. If so, I had my stock ones on my truck until I lifted it a couple years ago. They always rode super smooth when I was using it as a DD, then when I started doing more side jobs and towing heavier (dirt, gravel, etc) maxing the truck out then I noticed it got much softer and sloppier, and the rear end sagged. That's probably the springs more than the shocks but still.

When I lifted it I got new springs and shocks (Bilstein 5100s) together and it really firmed up the ride, but in a good way. It was really floaty and vague before, now you feel the road but it's not harsh at all. And that's with a lift and 37" M/Ts. I'm sure a stock Tahoe will ride fine even if it's slightly shorter.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a set of Bilstein B6s on my Jeep and I agree, they're a little stiff. Excellent high speed body control though, very safe feeling at highway speeds so that part is nice. Might not go that route again though.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a set of Bilstien B6-4600 on the 97 k1500, is a bit siffer than I thought they'd be on the highway. I'm fairly sure the Tahoe I just picked up has the original Bilstien's on it. I'd like a cushy ride in that truck, any recommendations?
Yeah same thing happened to me still stiff, I get tired driving it sometimes. Maybe add airbags they float like a boat.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put 4600's on my 2500 suburban and I couldnt believe how much better it handled. I think my shocks were toast, it felt like I was riding on bump stops when I first bought it.
I will run nothing but 4600's on this rig.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 9

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your rig is the same one in your avatar, are you sure it'd not the 26" rims causing a stiff ride? ;)
Lmao it did change it a little with the small side walls, but it got stiffer when I replaced the shocks however I'm pretty sure the old shocks were factory from 1999 so it was pretty worn out and gave it a more softer ride, might go 28s or 24s with mt tires next or OEM trail boss rims can't decide yet.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lmao it did change it a little with the small side walls, but it got stiffer when I replaced the shocks however I'm pretty sure the old shocks were factory from 1999 so it was pretty worn out and gave it a more softer ride, might go 28s or 24s with mt tires next or OEM trail boss rims can't decide yet.
I have to ask, where do you live in commiefornia, Im orginally from LBZ and moved to AZ and lovin it!

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put 4600's on my 2500 suburban and I couldnt believe how much better it handled. I think my shocks were toast, it felt like I was riding on bump stops when I first bought it.
I will run nothing but 4600's on this rig.
Are you running a lift? It looks very nice btw..

I have a 3" block lift on rear, my current shocks (Monroes Gas Magnum), sit perfectly when bolted. No need to compress to install. Thinking about knocking the lift down to a 2" and purchasing the 4600's.

Thanks.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you running a lift? It looks very nice btw..

I have a 3" block lift on rear, my current shocks (Monroes Gas Magnum), sit perfectly when bolted. No need to compress to install. Thinking about knocking the lift down to a 2" and purchasing the 4600's.

Thanks.
No my burb is stock height, Im running 265 tires thats it as far as "mods"

Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just noticed the rear bump stops rubbers are missing, thoughts on price point for replacement parts? I'm seeing $30 - $300 a pair. Stock 4wd tahoe that won't often carry a big load but will be towing.