Bilstien B6-4600 on a tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed a set of Bilstien B6-4600 on the 97 k1500, is a bit siffer than I thought they'd be on the highway. I'm fairly sure the Tahoe I just picked up has the original Bilstien's on it. I'd like a cushy ride in that truck, any recommendations?

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks but so many here are not happy with Monroe's. But I was kinda leaning that way. I'd love to be able to mimic the ride in our 05 Sub 4x4 LT autoride. Wish it wasn't succumbing to the tin worm.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks but so many here are not happy with Monroe's.

I suspect because many here (like me) are not seeking a cushier ride, which is why we gravitate to the 4600s. The Monroe sensatracs are perfectly fine for what you say you want IMO.

By the way, I assume you already know a Tahoe will not compare well to a Burb with a longer wheelbase.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wheelbase and suspension both are against the cush ride. I'm thinking a different set of valving might help. I'm not buying anything till I actually drive it. The worn shocks may be fine.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect because many here (like me) are not seeking a cushier ride, which is why we gravitate to the 4600s. The Monroe sensatracs are perfectly fine for what you say you want IMO.

By the way, I assume you already know a Tahoe will not compare well to a Burb with a longer wheelbase.

The 4600's are great on the k1500.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I've no issue at all with the pickup ride and handling. Hands down great. Just wondering about the ride for the Tahoe. Hoping for first hand opinions.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the 4600s - I use them whenever I can. But if you want a cushier ride, Monroe sensatracs.

I second Trio's comments, based on firsthand experience with both brands.

Thanks but so many here are not happy with Monroe's. But I was kinda leaning that way. I'd love to be able to mimic the ride in our 05 Sub 4x4 LT autoride. Wish it wasn't succumbing to the tin worm.

Over HERE I mentioned my disappointment in the Sensatrac's valving...after installation,
they were just a bit too soft for what I was looking for? On the other hand, it sounds
like this is exactly what you are looking for on the Tahoe?

To complete this comparison, here's a couple of outliers. Once I purchased a set of
aftermarket Ranchos (many years ago) to try & upgrade a truck suspension, and they
were just way too harsh. And they never relented -- you know, run over a dime and be
able to tell if it was heads or tails. :0) When I traded that truck in I never missed those...

And my favorite shock upgrade of all time was a set of adjustable Koni shocks. I was
able to dial it in exactly to my personal preference. I enjoyed living with these as much
as I regretted the Ranchos. Good thing I can check the lifetime box for the Koni shocks,
because they were a bit spendy then...but crazy money now.

Hope this is helpful.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second Trio's comments, based on firsthand experience with both brands.

Over HERE I mentioned my disappointment in the Sensatrac's valving...after installation,
they were just a bit too soft for what I was looking for? On the other hand, it sounds
like this is exactly what you are looking for on the Tahoe?

To complete this comparison, here's a couple of outliers. Once I purchased a set of
aftermarket Ranchos (many years ago) to try & upgrade a truck suspension, and they
were just way too harsh. And they never relented -- you know, run over a dime and be
able to tell if it was heads or tails. :0) When I traded that truck in I never missed those...

And my favorite shock upgrade of all time was a set of adjustable Koni shocks. I was
able to dial it in exactly to my personal preference. I enjoyed living with these as much
as I regretted the Ranchos. Good thing I can check the lifetime box for the Koni shocks,
because they were a bit spendy then...but crazy money now.

Hope this is helpful.
The post you referred to was the kicker for pulling the trigger on the Bilstiens I just installed. I built a 72 BMW 2002 years ago. TII sway bars, nice set of springs and Konis. It handled amazing and my mom couldn't believe how smooth it rode. But golly yeah have they gone up in price. The pair of Weber 45 DCOE's today..... It may be fine on the old set for a while anyhow.