Best Lube for Door Hinges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard white lithium grease, I've heard Silicone spray, I've heard motor oil, gear oil, ATF, chain lube, you name it. I actually just used some REM oil out of my gun cabinet a few minutes ago and it seems to work just fine.

Just curious, what is everyone's preference for door hinge lube and why?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it's the best, but I just use WD40 a couple of times a year on door hinges, hood hinges, etc. Seems to work great and it's super easy to hit all those parts with it.

wingman

Reaction score
When I did my pins and bushes I used Lucas Red and Sticky grease. Seems to be holding up well...............

Reaction score
I usually use white lithium on hinges but it didn't seem to work as well on the 400 as it does in other applications, I just tried some silicone and that seems to have worked alot better with smoother operation and less noise.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys!

Don't know if it's the best, but I just use WD40 a couple of times a year on door hinges, hood hinges, etc. Seems to work great and it's super easy to hit all those parts with it.

I used to do the same, until I realized that WD-40 is actually pretty terrible as a lubricant. It's great for cleaning stuff out, but almost never went a month or more on my hinges without everything getting squeaky again. I Read up on it a little and it's not really recommended as a lube for much of anything.

I usually use white lithium on hinges but it didn't seem to work as well on the 400 as it does in other applications, I just tried some silicone and that seems to have worked alot better with smoother operation and less noise.

Thanks for that info. Considering my new found love for Kano AeroKroil, maybe I'll invest in a can of their Lubricone Silicone spray lube to keep in the garage.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep WD40 is not really gonna do much for you here.

White lithium spray style grease works pretty well, but if the parts are already in poor shape, it's not going to get in there and help. Parts need to be good or at least serviceable and you'll want to give it one fairly good soaking in with the straw so that it can get into the crevices. Can help if you have someone manipulate the door up and down so the gaps in the bushings/pins move around while you spray, and open/close a little while you spray the detent roller.

I like the white lithium because it stays where you put it, doesn't collect a lot of crud, and lasts a long time.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hinge pins and bushings are only a couple years old on both trucks, they're in great shape.

Thanks for the tip about having someone manipulate the door while you spray everything, I wouldn't have thought about that. I've read that the white lithium grease in a can sometimes has a difficult time penetrating in tight areas depending on what solvent it's in, temperature, etc. so the little bit of extra help getting it in there seems like a great idea.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, no more WD40 then (although it has seemed to work just fine for me). Just curious on thoughts about SafariLand CLP? I use it to clean/oil my guns. I'm not too cheap to go buy while lithium spray grease just curious about others thoughts on CLP.

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slick kind. Don't over think it. They're f###### door hinges lol
That's why I was using WD40, say's it's a lubricant right on the f'ing can lol and specifically mentions hinges